Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

How far to dig under drainage pipe?

This is related to my other post, but specific to a drainage pipe.

There is currently a plastic corrigated pipe dug in the ground. Originally there were rocks around it, but over time dirt has accumulated around it. So I am digging it out and putting a small trench to divert water to it.

I was thinking of digging about 6 inches below the opening so the dirt will not accumulate as quickly, and lay rocks around it.

In a few years (hopefully many), I would have to dig it back out again if the dirt accumulates too high and starts to get close to the drain.

I think this is a better alternative than laying the pipe in the ground and covering it since I will not be able to see if its backing up, and it will be more work to dig it back out.

The backyard has a lot of clay, so this has been a big problem. With the extra depth, a few inches of water may sit there, but I think it is better than having it back up. I was going to plastic line the area so the water will not seep in the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
How far to dig under drainage pipe?-drain1.jpg   How far to dig under drainage pipe?-drain2.jpg  

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

How far to dig under drainage pipe?

check this YOUTUBE out.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfIg...eature=related

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote