DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   How do you kill a yucca? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/how-do-you-kill-yucca-95414/)

mopar383 02-13-2011 07:24 PM

How do you kill a yucca?
 
I may not be spelling it right but how do you kill a yucka? We dug it up we poured gas on it the thing just won't die

jamiedolan 02-13-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar383 (Post 590637)
I may not be spelling it right but how do you kill a yucka? We dug it up we poured gas on it the thing just won't die

This?

http://www.smgrowers.com/image/yucca_elephantipes1.jpg

Use a herbicide, roundup makes one just for trees.

nap 02-13-2011 08:21 PM

WOW!! I had no idea. This is the only thing I have ever known as a yucca


http://images.plant-care.com/varigated-yucca.jpg

jamiedolan 02-13-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 590681)
WOW!! I had no idea. This is the only thing I have ever known as a yucca


http://images.plant-care.com/varigated-yucca.jpg

:thumbsup: Yep, a big family of plants.

Look at the Acer genus of trees (maple). I have tiny Japanese Maples that never will make it past a few feet tall. Most parts of the country have Sugar and norway maples that are 50-70 tall that are also in the Acer family.

It surprised me the first time I learned this, I remember thinking the same thing as you.

I always though of Ficus as this fairly small house plant, but members of the ficus family can look like this:

http://www.dolanhosting.net/jamiedolan/tree/tree.jpg

handymic 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 590681)
WOW!! I had no idea. This is the only thing I have ever known as a yucca


http://images.plant-care.com/varigated-yucca.jpg

Oh I can kill these in a jiff. Mr. Black Thumb, they call me.

nap 02-13-2011 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handymic (Post 590720)
Oh I can kill these in a jiff. Mr. Black Thumb, they call me.

that's nothing. I'm so bad at gardening I've killed fake plants.

nap 02-13-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiedolan (Post 590690)

I always though of Ficus as this fairly small house plant, but members of the ficus family can look like this:

]

or even like this

http://autos.muamat.com/images/listi...87080473-0.jpg

Quote:

Ford ficus 1999 for sale
Manufacturer: Ford Condition: Used

I did not change the text.

http://autos.muamat.com/details.php?id=18265

Jackofall1 02-13-2011 09:47 PM

You plant a yum yum next to it.:yes:

Mark

gma2rjc 02-13-2011 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the kind of yucca plant that grows here (outside).

Attachment 29784

jamiedolan 02-14-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gma2rjc (Post 590768)
This is the kind of yucca plant that grows here (outside).

Attachment 29784

Cool, I didn't know those grew in the midwest.

jamiedolan 02-14-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nap (Post 590730)

You can even watch a video about the Ford Ficus

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BjuaHNKU9wY

BigJim 02-14-2011 02:02 PM

I have found a mound of salt will kill just about any plant but then it will be a looooong time before anything else will grow there either.

jamiedolan 02-14-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiju1943 (Post 591100)
I have found a mound of salt will kill just about any plant but then it will be a looooong time before anything else will grow there either.

Some things are much more sentive to salts than others. Chemical fertilizers are salt based, that's why you can burn plants with fertilizer. Some things burn easy, other typically more weedy things are very resistant to salts.

I lost a 50 year old 20 foot long Korean Boxwood due to salt run off (winter ice melt salt) 2 years ago, very sad.

Bondo 02-14-2011 05:48 PM

Ayuh,... A good shot of Clorox kills anything I've put it on....

It disipates quickly too...

DangerMouse 02-14-2011 06:14 PM

My goats would make short work of them....

DM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved