Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

How do I "grade" paving sand?

Good day ~
I have begun my spring project ~ a new walkway from the edge of my deck 12 feet out towards my parking area.

The edge of my deck is slightly lower than the parking area & I know I must "grade" the walkway so that water flows away from the deck area towards the parking area. Can you explain how to do this?

I am using soil from other parts of my acreage as "fill" ~ topping this with weed guard fabric then with bagged paving sand mixed with clean dry sand. I have placed my metal edgers where they will keep everything in place and I am ready to begin setting my pavers.

I can't figure out how to grade the walkway to where any rainfall will flow away from the deck ... can you help this Texas lady, please?

Pertyrita

Pertyrita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
DIY'er

Hey Pertyrita,

So first things first, the deck is lower than the parking area? How is the rest of the ground graded between the deck and the parking area? Pictures would be a great help.

You definitely want stuff graded away from your house (assuming that's what your deck is attached to).

Secondly, how exactly do you plan on building the patio base? Where I live, its standard to have 4-6" of compacted 3/4" gravel, then an inch or so of sand on top also compacted before laying pavers.

Anymore information?

DIYadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The compacted base should be sloped to the desired grade. The sand on top is just a 1" thickness of concrete sand that is recommended to be uncompacted and just screeded off to provide a uniform 1" thickness if your edging is at the correct height and used as a screed guide.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
It's always something

I'm no expert by any means but maybe you couldn't he put a drain at the lowest point of the walkway? Just a thought.
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #5

Thanks for your prompt reply, Dick.

Anyplace on this site that will "walk me through" the process of "grading"?

~ HOW do YOU "grade" a work site like my walkway?

Pertyrita
Old 03-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply, Adam! I am at a standstill on this project ~ I have to replenish my supply of bricks so that means back to "work" to earn a few more dollars!

I'm having loads of fun but am puzzled on the process of "grading" ~ just need a "walk through" on how this is done.

Have a great day!!
Pertyrita
Old 03-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #7

That's just what I was just thinking! I wonder where I can find directions on "how to dig a moat" ..lol!

Pertyrita