Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |

How do I get rid of Plantain weeds?

My yard is full of them and I've been plucking them out for days now. Some areas that were plucked clean are starting to grow more Plantain again.

Besides plucking them, is there another way of getting rid of them without hurting my grass? Some kind of spray, chemical, etc?
Attached Images

hayzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #2

2,4D or Killex.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
hayzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #4

Any broad leaf herbicide for lawns will work... which is common practice but your adding chemicals to a lawn is unsafe for humans, the inviorment and animals... as recent studies show.
Puttling the weeds out is the only natural way I can think of.. and then eliminate the weeds comming back again...

After you get rid of the weeds, make sure your lawn in healthy by mowing at 3.5 inches high which makes it harder for seed germination.

Apply corn gluten in the spring as a pre-emergent and you can use it in the fall.

Apply lime which will enable your plants to better utilize the nutrients that are in your soil..

Mow higher right before a drought

Lots of natural things you can do to discourage weeds from germinating in your lawn!
chrissygarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #5

I do a lot of weeding byhand when I'm outside with my son
The front I have used Scotts program for years - very few weeds

Due to construction one side & the back suffered from my truck/backhoe being driven across
I'm hoping to start getting them back in shape next year

I also had a grub problem out front
I didn't know until a skunk dug up a 6x12 area
Now I use grubbex, but maybe changing to milky spores (?) after talking to a neighbor
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
Apply lime which will enable your plants to better utilize the nutrients that are in your soil..
Would this not depend on the present pH and the pH requirements of the crop, i.e. lawn?

What, me worry?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #7

The only way to get rid of plantains is to dig them up, getting all of the root out. Pieces of root can regenerate, and the plantains can return. Water the area well a day in advance of when you plan to weed, then use a flat screwdriver or dandelion digger to dig the plantain out. Use the tool to loosen the soil around the taproot. Once the root seems free, pull the entire plant out.This will prevent the plantain from spreading its seed all over your garden.
lilypotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #8

Good one 'lilypotter'! Dig 'em up! It's the only way to fly!
Lali is offline   Reply With Quote