How To Clean & Resand Pavers - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to clean & resand pavers

Hi,
We have a 7 year old paver around the pool, and shows big space between stone blocks, upto 1/2 inch, due to ground movement.

We would like to re sand for now. Please advise on how to ..,
1) Do we need to clean & remove dirt between the stones ( as this could be very time consuming)
2) What's the best way to clean

Thanks

Advertisement

thachhoang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

When i moved into my house i had a pretty large paver patio with the same problem...gapping..heavy weather look..years of neglect.i took a gas powered pressure washer and blasted them at highest output...i actually peeled weeds out from in between the pavers. i took the exposed dirt,weeds down about a half depth of the paver.a little dish soap mixture will aide in the brightening up of the paver, if you have moss add bleach. then after everything dried up i went through and re sanded the gaps...The pressure washer made this job take about a day to accomplish but most of that time was the drying in between the cleaning and sanding and kept my back in shape (no bending required).hope this helps ya.

Advertisement

Last edited by rollinastang; 05-20-2011 at 09:00 AM.
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thachhoang View Post
Hi,
We have a 7 year old paver around the pool, and shows big space between stone blocks, upto 1/2 inch, due to ground movement.

We would like to re sand for now. Please advise on how to ..,
1) Do we need to clean & remove dirt between the stones ( as this could be very time consuming)
2) What's the best way to clean

Thanks
It would be advisable to remove the dirt. You can't add sand to a joint filled with dirt. Agree with the power washer suggestion. You can kill 2 birds with one process.
After cleaning and dirt removing, just dump sand on the pavers and sweep it in.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote