Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Share |

How can I save my Lawn???

I live in South Florida and when I moved into a new home in February of 2012 the front yard was all weeds/dirt so I paid a gardening company to re-sod the whole front lawn. It looked great this whole time, and in the last month it is almost completely dead with brown patches all over the place. It is devastating.

I checked my sprinklers and there is adequate coverage of water. I water every Wednesday and Saturday (First 90 days I watered 4-5 times a week for the new sod) and I water for 12 minutes at 6:00 A.M.

Now in certain parts of the front lawn I have these weeds that have grown in all over (Do I pick them out..it's hard without killing the actual grass) and there's dying patches all over the front lawn.

How can I figure out what is killing everything, revive it, and protect the grass from this happening again?

I am really tight with money right now, otherwise I'd hire a professional to diagnose and repair. Thank you so much guys!

mss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
JOATMON

Looks like winter hybernation to me....you've been having some cooler weather there...so the grass is not going to do so well when it gets cold. Won't hurt it...

Good time to mow it short. When it starts to warm up...toss on a light sprinkle of fertilizer.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

It hasn't been cool at all in Florida, and all these weeds are growing everywhere in the last picture...how can I determine if it's a fungus, or something else? I already put some brown patch fungus control to prevent anymore spreading if that is what is is but all those brown patch spots how can I get it green/grass to grow there again? Do I have to rip it out and plant some type of seed? I'm really hoping there's a semi-easy fix
mss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

Get the soil tested, go on the Scotts web site and see what type weed it is and how to treat it.
A simple google search on "weed ID" will narrow it down.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss22 View Post
It hasn't been cool at all in Florida, and all these weeds are growing everywhere in the last picture...how can I determine if it's a fungus, or something else? I already put some brown patch fungus control to prevent anymore spreading if that is what is is but all those brown patch spots how can I get it green/grass to grow there again? Do I have to rip it out and plant some type of seed? I'm really hoping there's a semi-easy fix
I should have looked closer at the photos....

What are your temps? My sis lives in the Orlando area and she says it's cold....

You might try a broadleaf fertilizer....like Scott's....

Hopefully Creeper will be along shortly...this is his sort of thing.

And like Joe said....you can get the soild tested. You might try taking a sample of the weed to a nursery....not HD...but a real one....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

To me the distant pictures look like grubs. They are white worm like things that live under the turf and eat the roots. You can buy stuff to sprinkle around that will kill then off. The close ups though look as though they are being choked out by those weeds. I'm not familar with it, but ChrisN will know. He will be along early in the morning.

(By the way Dawg, I'm not a he)
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post

Never would have guessed.....

Old 01-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
To me the distant pictures look like grubs. They are white worm like things that live under the turf and eat the roots. You can buy stuff to sprinkle around that will kill then off. The close ups though look as though they are being choked out by those weeds. I'm not familar with it, but ChrisN will know. He will be along early in the morning.

sdester was the lawn guy, not me, I do know trees though

I would contact the local county extension service and see whats up
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Never would have guessed.....
I thought I told you that already
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

I knew it all along
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

could be singebugs try "bug be gone". works great! lucky you can get it easily in the US. up here we cannot get it.
efficiencyhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #12

Some of the pics look like crabgrass has started to take over. I had the same problem this past year because I forgot to apply Scotts Halts Crabgrass preventer in the spring. In my case the winter frost will kill the crab grass and I can prevent the seeds from sprouting next summer by using Halts. Since you're in Florida I don't know how that would work. Maybe check the Scott's website. Also, the dry patches look like the result of grub infestation. You need to apply some Grubex at the proper time for your area. Try to pull up some of the turf. If it pulls up easily the grubs have eaten most of the roots. If you remove some sod you'll see the little buggers. They look like little white "C" shaped larvae.
Attached Images

Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #13

Looks like grubs or cinch bugs ( assuming they are in FL).....does the surrounding grass around those areas pull out easily?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwBQ&dur=2650

Last edited by pwgsx; 01-23-2013 at 09:54 AM.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #14

I agree with the grub verdict. I used to live in Miami and always battled them. Dig a small hole to just under the roots in several of the dead spots, especially near the edges and see if you find any. If you do then their are lots of ways to fight them. New sod down in that area usually comes wit hitch hikers like them
RyanVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #15

The simple thing to do is that firstly you should use rooter on your garden and then put some chemical fertilizers on the garden and then provide it some water and then wait and watch, but if it also does`t works then you should call in the professional gardeners.

paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote