Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home's Pressure valvue and sprinkler

Hello all

Wife and I are renting a home here in Denver. Water pressure at the faucets and showers is terrible. Called the water company and they assured at least 100psi into the house. Bought a Rain Bird exterior psi gauge and at the cold water faucet of the washer, we're getting 38psi.

Yuck.

In the basement is of course the pressure relief valve. I know I can adjust it to increase the whole house pressure, but my rental also has a sprinkler system (drained and off obviously right now).

The main water pipe comes in through the basement concrete, then the PRV, then the water meter, then the split off for the sprinkler system.

(I assume this is wrong in that the PRV ought to be after the split for the sprinkler, but I can't change the pipes as it isn't my place.)

Since I'm assuming the sprinkler was installed with the GPM and PSI measured with the crappy 38psi (or perhaps the original 60PSI or so was then dialed back instead), I'm then assuming the heads were chosen based on the low pressure.

Thus, my question....

If I increase the rest of the house pressure (to say, 55psi) so it's good for the nine months of the year when we don't use the system, will I risk destroying the heads with too much pressure when the system is opened up in the summer?

Or can the heads 'take it' and then simply be dialed back distance wise since I'm assuming (again with the assumptions!) that if I increase the entire home's pressure, the water will shoot too far out of the heads.

But mostly I'm concerned with wrecking the heads or other parts of the sprinkler system with feeding too much pressure.

Thanks!

Last edited by steve0617; 01-04-2011 at 01:23 PM.
steve0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

My experience with sprinklers is with systems that operate at about 20psi. These use their own pressure reducers to achieve this value. If your system is like this, then I would expect you to be fine. However, there are a variety of systems out there that, I am sure, operate at various pressures.

In your case, you may have to do a little investigation to identify the type of irrigation system you have. I think it will be difficult to provide a reliable answer to your question without knowing a little more about your system.

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
My experience with sprinklers is with systems that operate at about 20psi. These use their own pressure reducers to achieve this value. If your system is like this, then I would expect you to be fine. However, there are a variety of systems out there that, I am sure, operate at various pressures.

In your case, you may have to do a little investigation to identify the type of irrigation system you have. I think it will be difficult to provide a reliable answer to your question without knowing a little more about your system.
Thanks for your answer. I'm guessing that the sprinkler heads or valves could withstand a pressure increase from 38 to 55psi without wrecking them. It's not like I'm pushing the entire municipal water pressure into the system.

It is a Rain Bird brand but by way of what exact valves or what have you, not sure. I'm thinking I should wander out in the snow and check out what's in the ground.
steve0617 is offline   Reply With Quote