Home Irrigation System Not Working - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home Irrigation System Not Working

Water to system is on. Control box in garage has power. But the sprinkler heads in all zones throughout the yard fail to raise, and only put out a trickle of water. This happens using the timed setting or manual advance setting at the garage control box. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

needhelpbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,164

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpbad View Post
Water to system is on. Control box in garage has power. But the sprinkler heads in all zones throughout the yard fail to raise, and only put out a trickle of water. This happens using the timed setting or manual advance setting at the garage control box. Any thoughts?

Have you programed the zones for duration??

Advertisement

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Mine did that last year and it was due to a cracked ball valve at the backflow preventer. Also check to see if you have any other valves along the water path. If you remove the bleeder valve does water come out?
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 564

How many zones do you have? One way to check is find your water meter. Turn on your system and watch the meter. If it's spinning like it's going to fly away, you have a leak somewhere. If it's turning slowly, the either the main valve to your system is not fully open or the valve controlling the zone is not opening fully.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #5

7 zones DJ, but none of them work. I'll check the water meter, but it would shock me if a leak released so much water pressure that even the first zone doesn't work. I'm guessing that you're right about the main valve. And yes Canary, it's set for duration. Unfortunately Brock, I don't know where the backflow preventer is. The system was installed by the previous owner, and there was no schematic left behind.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

Is this your first year with the system? Are you located in a a cold area? The back flow has valves on it. If your system was blown out last year, odds are one of the valves is partially closed.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #7

Not the first year. It worked great for several years. Just went bad last summer. I haven't blown it out lately because the winters have been so mild, and I don't use it much.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #8

If you have a backflow it should stick out like a sore thumb. I don't think they can be buried in a valve box but not certain. You might have a check valve instead. Follow you water main in the house to where it connects to the irrigation system. Look for a device that's inline on the pipe.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #9

OK... Thanks Dan. I'll look tomorrow.

Advertisement

Tags
irrigation system , lawn irrigation , watering lawn