Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

High low areas in my lawn

What causes the high low areas in my lawn? I can not see them but when I walk on the lawn I can feel the areas with my feet.

jerry1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

We just bought a new house with lots of undulation to the lawn. I'm kinda curious myself as to how to fix it next spring. Fill? Rolling? I figured sod wouldn't do it.

perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Depending on how many areas and how big they are, you need to add a layer of lawn dressing in the undulations... "dressing" can be compost or sand or topsoil.

Depending on how many or how large of an area, you can use bagged topsoil or have some delivered or go get a trailer or pick up load from a garden center...

throw a few shovels full in the area you want to build up and rake it out with a steel tine rake... if your undulations have grass growing in them MAKE SURE you leave at least 1/3 of the grass blades sticking out of the top of the fill...

allow the grass to grow through this layer and if you need more top dressing do the same process again a month or two later...

this is for smaller areas and lawns... if it is a large lawn, I would recommend doing the same procedure with a tractor and a box blade...

IT IS VERY LABOR INTENSIVE and to be honest with you, if you can't see it why worry about it? Might be easier to sit in the shade and have a cold one...
panhandlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry1967 View Post
What causes the high low areas in my lawn? I can not see them but when I walk on the lawn I can feel the areas with my feet.
This is caused by the builder not rolling out or tamping down the grade before applying sod. Or, it could have been pieces of wood in the ground that have just rotted out causing settlement.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote