Hiding Heat/air Unit - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hiding heat/air unit

I'm trying to plan my landscaping for the front lawn. My house faces west and my central heat/ air unit sits in the north side un full view. I want to conceal it from view and not use the fencing type things. I would love to have on each corner some type of evergreen tree but one that won't get to big for the space. My property line is about 12' from the house and the gas line is 4' from the house. My home is a modest 2 story '40's cottage style. Any ideas?

Advertisement

drtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 350

Hiding heat/air unit

Pictures would help.

Advertisement

chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3

Hiding heat/air unit

Hiding heat/air unit-image-477186152.jpg

This is my house, the door is now a reddish color and the shutters will be a blue color.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

Hiding heat/air unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtngirl View Post
I'm trying to plan my landscaping for the front lawn. My house faces west and my central heat/ air unit sits in the north side un full view. I want to conceal it from view and not use the fencing type things. I would love to have on each corner some type of evergreen tree but one that won't get to big for the space. My property line is about 12' from the house and the gas line is 4' from the house. My home is a modest 2 story '40's cottage style. Any ideas?
Very bad idea. There is a reason why the outdoor units that are A/C condenser's and Heat Pumps are in the open. Do not place anything in front of it or around it to hide it, or you will have other issues.

Bad thing with having bushes or shrubbery nearby, is that the crud from them gets pulled in from the sides, and clogs up the fins. Plus makes it harder to maintain them.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Hiding heat/air unit

Hiding heat/air unit-image-1336246806.jpg

The unit sits back about 6 ft from the corner and I'd be planting inline with the corner about 5 ft out.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

Hiding heat/air unit

Tree at the corner won't hurt the unit.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #7

Hiding heat/air unit

What about just planting some flowers around it so it doesnt look so ugly? Or can you paint the outside of it so it blends in with the color of your house?
Msniki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

Hiding heat/air unit

You said no fence, but what about a trellis in front with a climbing plant? It will provide concealment, yet provide airflow without all the junk from typical shrubs.
AtticFoil.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Hiding heat/air unit

Advice would be for not going after trees, plants would definitely help you!

Advertisement

eliciasam1 is offline   Reply With Quote