Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with St. Augustine

My St. Augustine Sod was laid approximately one week ago. I've been watering it three times per day. I don't believe the gardener used the roller on it after laying the sod. Do you think it's too late to rent one and do that? Also, being so late in the season, do I need to apply winterizer fertilizer before winter begins (I live in California)? If so, when should I apply it? Lastly, should I be treating the sod any differently since I have a dog that goes to the bathroom on it? Thanks!

swhite005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Help with St. Augustine

Dont Let The Dog Use New Sod As A Bathroom. It Will Kill It. Water It , Winterize It,and Pray For It

waitegarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Help with St. Augustine

I wouldn't worry about rolling it unless it's REALLY bad. My neighbor put some in last year and their gardener didn't smooth it out and this year it looks fine. St. Augustine grows VERY thick in California, especially in Southern California where the summers get really hot. The thickness will smooth out all but the most ridiculous bumps.

As far as winterizing goes, I've never done it. It just turns a little brown and stops growing. A lot of my neighbors use a winter rye to cover the brownness - but it doesn't bother my wife, and best of all it doesn't require me to mow the lawn every weekend.

IMO, all winterizing in mild climates does is feed weeds.

I agree with Gary about dog urine killing your new sod - but if you're like me, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. There are products you can feed your dog that will minimize the damage their urine does, but there isn't much you can do at the lawn level to protect it.

We have a female border collie and I've never had any issues with our established lawn where she stays all day.

So water it really well (every day) for a good month, then pare it back to normal winter levels and hope for the best.
Crashless is offline   Reply With Quote