Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Help with sloped area. Steps maybe?

I really want to do something to the area in the pictures. It is steep, grass will not grow there, and it gets muddy when it rains. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I also want to lay a concrete sidewalk from that area to the back steps. I have no clue where to start. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with sloped area. Steps maybe?-20140319_181750.jpg   Help with sloped area. Steps maybe?-20140319_181800.jpg  

js_paddle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_paddle07 View Post
I really want to do something to the area in the pictures. It is steep, grass will not grow there, and it gets muddy when it rains. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! I also want to lay a concrete sidewalk from that area to the back steps. I have no clue where to start. Thanks!
"Grass will not grow there" not because it's steep, but because it's a pathway. It doesn't take much traffic to kill grass.

Look at paver stones. It will look way better than concrete, you can incorporate a step or two, and you can do it all yourself fairly easily if you are not shooting for vehicle-load capable. The big box stores all have little pamphlets where they sell the stones, sand and gravel, that walk you through it.

ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #3

I would build a walk from the deck to this sloping area, then a terraced flower bed along the driveway, with a step or three from the drive down to the walk.

There are great ideas at the apron/vest box stores, for pavers. Or concrete and pavers mixed.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

As any draftsman or lay person can tell this sketch is not to scale, square and was never intended to be but just an idea and I ain't no designer. Now that we've got that out of the way we can see the dog doesn't even like to trot within 3 ft. of a building and humans like their shoulder to be a minimum of 2 ft. from the wall and 3 ft. is better.

So with that in mind I'd pour concrete, plain, stamped, colored or whatever you like, to the building with the first foot from the house sloped 1" / foot minimum and the remainder sloped the recommended amount for walks. The hand drawn ellipse are for small shrubs or perennials etc. Square plant block outs will surely crack at the corners and are boring.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with sloped area. Steps maybe?-walk.jpg  
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote