Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Help Leafblower "proof" rock around foundation

hi,
For several reasons I would like to pull up the grass (or dirt) around my foundation and have a foot long border of rock. I have issues with chipmunks digging around the foundation with a vengence this year.

So if there was some rock barrier to prevent them of burrowing right next to the foundation I'd consider it. I would like something dark, and heavy and of enough size not to be blown around by a leafblower (wooded lot...many leaves). Lava rock is too lightweight and river rock is too light-colored.

chicken wire covered by mulch won't work since mulch attracts insects...another reason I'd like rocks.

Thanks for any ideas!

D270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Want to use grape sized gravel? Or how about iks d IKS OLD FASHIONED rat traps?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by D270 View Post
I would like something dark, and heavy and of enough size not to be blown around by a leafblower...
Crushed stone varies in color so you really need to visit the gravel quarries near you in person to see for yourself. Don't go when it's raining.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can get nice river washed and other landscape stone in darker colors but it is going to cost you. I should think you would want something larger than pea gravel to discourage the chipmunks from digging.

What about rubber mulch? It is nice looking, comes in the usual colors to simulate cedar or redwood mulch or others including an ebony color at a great price point. It is made from recycled material so is also a green product if that matters.

It is long lasting and naturally insect and disease resistant. It looks great in place. Your blower will not move it around any more than it would regular mulch; get heavier "chunks" if this is a major concern.

Your best bet will be to get it through a landscape supplier or online. You can get it in different "looks" and sizes. The box stores may have limited colors and lower quality stuff.

Last edited by user1007; 06-14-2012 at 07:26 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote