Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Share |

Help with lawn

Hi,

I had a beautiful lawn up until recently when i started using my brand new Honda mower (HRR216VKA). I mowed the lawn the first time this spring about a week ago today and mowed it again yesterday. It turns out my grass blades are shredding. However, it is not happening everywhere. I don't think my grass blade is dull as this is a brad new mower. I looked at the mower blade and they looked fine to me except for a very tiny chip on the mower blade that is only noticeable if you run your finger on it. What am i doing wrong? The cutting height i am using is 3" . I noticed that the sections of grass that appear frayed and shredded are closer to the wheel marks. I was tempted to go and buy a replacement blade this afternoon, but someone at HD told me not to waste my money on a new blade as this is a new mower and not to go the full width (21") on my next mow, but to overlap that way the mower doesn't overload. I live in the northeast and the type of grass i have is a mix of bluegrass and fescues ( i used pennington smart seed last fall). I should also mention that as i was mowing i was letting the bag get pretty full before i went ahead and emptied the bag. I was also using the self propelled feature while going on a very slight uphill. Could this have caused the engine to run slower and caused the shredding?

Thank you

smithers76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Help with lawn

Just because it is new does not mean the blade is sharp. It could also be unbalanced. This will sound silly but have checked to make sure the box store installed the blade correctly and not upside down?

Do you have a sharpening shop near you? They should be able to sharpen the blade and balance it for you for a few bucks. If you are comfortable with the thought and have a grinder you can do it yourself but I stopped because I was always dragging other things like saw blades and wood augers to the sharpener anyhow.

And you are nut trying to mow the lawn wet are you?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

Help with lawn

I don't think it was wet; however, i did do it last time around 10 am in the morning so there might have been dew particularly since i have the grass tall (about 3").
Is there anything i can do to prevent entire glass blades from dying? or is it just tips that get brown?
I am going to take the mower blade to a repair shop so they can look at the blade. Btw, the Honda manual recommends using a torque wrench to remove it. Do i have to? i don't really have one and i am a broke first time home owner
smithers76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #4

Help with lawn

You don't need a torque wrench to remove any bolt. To install a bolt, depending on the situation, a torque wrench is needed. I've never used one on a mower blade; just make sure it is tight without trying to snap off the bolt head.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #5

Help with lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
make sure the box store installed the blade correctly and not upside down?

that would explain everything if you were cutting with the square side of the blade
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Help with lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
You don't need a torque wrench to remove any bolt. To install a bolt, depending on the situation, a torque wrench is needed. I've never used one on a mower blade; just make sure it is tight without trying to snap off the bolt head.
I used to restore British cars and torquing the head bolts and things was critical. I never worried about torque for a lawnmower blade. I guess if you crack the socket and break its handle you have put too many foot pounds to the challenge.

I would never use a torque wrench to remove anything so hope you read and posted that part of things wrong.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote