Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

HELP!! How to keep this plants and tree seeds from growing back?

Hi all,

I have been at this house for about a month and half. In the time that I have been here I have cleaned the backyard three times. I have pulled the wild plants from the roots to keep them from growing back (or at least I thought so). This as you can imagine is a lot of hard work. I am very disapointed on the results. One of the pictures attached shows the backyard today. This yard was cleaned two weeks ago, but as you can see the plants are exactly as they were two weeks ago. I am very frustrated and tired of dealing this this. I would like to use a poison to kill all these plants but it will need to be pet and child safe. I would not like to hurt some of the trees on the back yard. What do you suggest to do?, any advices?

The first picture shows some of the plans on the far corner.
The second picture shows a large tree which is to blame for all the seeds that grow as shown in picture 3. This little trees have very deep roots and grow very fast. I will eventually remove this large tree as well.
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! How to keep this plants and tree seeds from growing back?-back-yard-wild-plants-0269.jpg   HELP!! How to keep this plants and tree seeds from growing back?-problem-tree-0270.jpg   HELP!! How to keep this plants and tree seeds from growing back?-tree-seed-growing-0271.jpg  

Last edited by gante; 05-03-2009 at 04:06 PM.
gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #2

Those are seeds from the tree
Its a junk tree & will continue to drop them
Possibly it also extends roots underground to spread

Cut the tree down
One Apt we simply kept the yard mowed - tree was too big

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #3

If you're not sure what kind of plant/tree it is, take a picture of it to a local nursery. Ask what they have to spray on it to kill it. You might find something that's harmless to pets and kids. If not, you may have to keep them out of the yard for a few hours or a day. It will tell on the directions.

Good luck. BTW, I had the same problem in my yard the first spring we were here. It was because the previous owners didn't pick-up any of the walnuts that fell over the past few years. We sprayed something on them and that worked. Now we start picking up the walnuts when they start falling in June until the last one falls some time in early November. What a PITA.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Its a junk tree & will continue to drop them
Possibly it also extends roots underground to spread

It looks like a Kentucky Coffee tree to me, but it is hard to tell from the pic, not necessarily a junk tree but will send off LOTS of seed pods. Cutting down a tree would be a last resort in my opinion, but I was in the tree care business most of my life so I am just a little predigest

Ask what they have to spray on it to kill it. You might find something that's harmless to pets and kids. If not, you may have to keep them out of the yard for a few hours or a day. It will tell on the directions.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Gante
FYI- When asking landscaping questions, it is most helpful to include where you are.

1. Keep the area mowed.
2. Mulch it.
3. Use a sucker herbicide.
4. Use a herbicide like Round-Up that will absorb into the roots. However, this can cause problems with the tree as a whole instead of just killing the roots that are suckering. Not the best choice, but an option nonetheless.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

My mistake about the tree, NOT kentucky Coffee but ailanthus , sorry about that.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #7

something to look forward to

Quote:
The small yellow to greenish flowers are borne on branched panicles. They turn reddish later in the year and eventually brown. They stay on the tree for a long time; the male flowers have a strong odour. The odour tends to resemble the smell of strong cat urine or the spray of a male cat. Also, touching the leaves leaves an unpleasant smell on the hands

This is considered an invasive species in North America. Ailanthus is capable of forming thick blankets of roots and heavy shade to the extent that native species are prevented from being able to reclaim an area that has been logged or deforested, as well as areas that have been heavily developed
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
the male flowers have a strong odour. The odour tends to resemble the smell of strong cat urine or the spray of a male cat. Also, touching the leaves leaves an unpleasant smell on the hands
I'd have to say bye-bye to that tree.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

I'd have to say bye-bye to that tree.

As I said before,I am mostly against cutting down trees, but in this case, it would have to go. The pic shown is sucker growth from surface roots, the tree grows like bamboo and if you have ever tried to control bamboo,you know what I mean.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:36 AM   #10

How about a good pruning? I'd say that tree needs a good clean-up.

But, I'd follow Joe Walsh's (chrisn) advice on this as well as on his painting advice, no question...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #11

The tree at the Apt I rented used to push suckers up from the roots thru 3" blacktop
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

The tree at the Apt I rented used to push suckers up from the roots thru 3" blacktop

It will do that also

But, I'd follow Joe Walsh's (chrisn) advice on this as well as on his painting advice, no question..
Not Joe anymore, that is actually me 35 years ago

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #13

chrisn:

The "Joe Walsh" thing was strictly a personal comment...I remember reading your posts several months back and seeing a picture I thought was Joe Walsh's...LOL! He's a pickin' hero of mine...

But I did like your posts tho'...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

and seeing a picture I thought was Joe Walsh's

It was
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #15

Sounds as if you could spray 2,4,-D on it to kill the suckers. IF there were NO tree roots of trees you want to keep ,,,underneath in the soil ,,,use Grazon. Its best to 'kill' the tree before cutting it down since that stops sucker growth also. otherwise every root grows back another tree.

BOTH sprays wont kill grass,just tree and broadleaf weeds.

Roundup applied to small suckers MAY or may NOT kill them. It wont kill the main tree unless you can spray ALL or most of the green leaves. Once roundup hits soil it becomes inactive,,,therefore NO residual activity. other thing is roundup will killl wanted grasses also!!

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote