Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Help!!! Drainage problem flooding basement

Hello, new to the forum. We have finished a basement of a 60 y.o. house. We ran the gutters underground and out the back to get rid of the water, or so we thought. Our neighbor on both sides sit higher than we are, we get their gutter drainage. I've dug a french drain on the one side, and am removing the grass and bushes from next to and in front of the house. There is a slightly negative slope into the house, so I'm sloping it down from the house about 15 feet out, putting a heavy plastic liner, then rock, and running the drainage from the liner into another drain that will connect to the french drain I am constructing for the neighbors water. There are cracks in the basement walls (long and thin, but no separation) where the water is coming in. Basically, I am creating a slope where none exists, and am hoping that the heavy plastic liner/landscaping rock/slope will adequately drain rainwater into the french drain. I won't be planting anything, but instead using flower pots, etc. On the other side, We're doing a driveway on the other side that wil abut the house, so it seems that with slope, etc we can control THAT water. We're in southeast missouri, and have had a ton of water in the last year. We don't seem to get it from the bottom up, but from surface water coming in. We don't have the money to spare for more expensive solutions, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Chris

charlton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #2

I sounds like you're doing all you can, but you won't really know until a big rain. Next time it rains, pay attention to where water pools and then fix those areas as you go. Decorative gravel pits can do wonders to retain water and make things look nicer. And, worse case, if you have water standing on the patio it's better than in your basement!

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Fix the basement wall

Dig and waterproof plus a delta MS or similar drain to the weeper at the bottom.