Help With A Chanticleer Pear - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Help with a Chanticleer pear

I just purchased two trees from my local nursery, an autumn blaze maple and a chanticleer pear. The maple was about a 1-1.5 inch diameter trunk, the pear a 3 inch trunk. The maple is doing fine, but the pear is really struggling. The ground is very sandy, but good rich iowa top soil mixed in with it. I watered every other day for the first couple of weeks, and nature has taken care of it since then with some wet weeks.

Now onto the issue:

Parts of the leaves, especially near the end of the brances appear a little red/off color instead of a solid green. The tree also generally looks drooppy. I have found some leaves that appear black and curled at the end. It almost looks like the leaves in spots are splitting, then curling back, then turnign black (but just the edges not the entire leaf). Maybe a mild case of blight?

Really looking for any ideas on how/what to treat. I am really unsure what is going on. The only other fruit tree in my yard is a crab apple and it has been doing fine since I planted it 3 years ago.

Advertisement

TANC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I would contact the nursery where you bought it asap for warranty should it die.
It sounds like transplant shock. Did you add anything to the soil when planting?
Many nurseries sell transplant booster to help prevent too much shock.
Someone here will have more info than I can give. Being a former landscape business owner I would have greatly appreciated the oppurtunity to care for a tree that I had sold a customer that was not doing so good.

Advertisement

Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bushman For This Useful Post:
TANC (05-17-2010)
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for your comments. I will try the nursery as well, but I have found some people there that pretend to know more than they do. . .

I took a bunch of pictures tonight too that might help someone diagnose as well:

TANC is offline   Reply With Quote