Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Share |

Help with building patio stone landing.

I am thinking of putting in a landing at the bottom of my front stairs.. over the years this area has sunk down , and instead of adding dirt, I thought of getting patio blocks, leveling out the area and putting down a landing of 12 inch patio blocks. I have dug down about 2 inches, and this area is going to be 5 x 3. Can I just lay them on the clay, or do I need to put down some sand or some kind of foundation first? I live in the country and most of the front area in front of my house is hard clay.

kittylady956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #2

I did something similar this weekend. All the research I did said to put down sand first and then the patio blocks. You also use the sand to fill in the cracks between the pavers. Mine turned out pretty good, although I didn't get it as level as I would have liked.

artlover13060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Thanks... how deep did you dig? I went about 3 inches??
kittylady956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #4

About 3 inches maybe a little deeper in spots to level it out.
artlover13060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #5

Your landing will stay level longer, and resist moving, if you dig a little deeper; 10" should be ok. Compact the subsoil, install a piece of geo-textile fabric, install 6" or so of crushed stone and compact, install a 1" layer of sand, level, and install your pavers. It takes a bit longer, but the results are better.
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Where are you located first. If the ground freezes and you don't have a good base like garden Concepts says then it will move/heave. You do not want to hit your bare toe on the corner of a cement paver. In Michigan I would put down about 6-8 inches of compacted gravel then and inch and a half of sand. However you are only installing 15 squares so..... If you don't mind possibly re-setting them occasionally then just dig a couple inches out and fill with sand. Laying them on clay would take an exceptional amount of work to get them level . Most important if you will be stepping off a set of stairs the you want a firm, stable landing. No moving or rocking patio blocks.
Good luck

Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote