Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hedger for Super Hedge

I have a hedge which I kid you not is 25 feet tall and 30 yards long. The whole thing needs to be trimmed. It costs between $300-$600 to have it done profesionally, that just ain't a reality these days. Initially I just want to carve in a foot or so about 6 feet high so I can park another car in my driveway. I have been pricing hedgers and there is a big difference between electric, battery and gas. Chances are I wouldn't hedge for more then a few hours at a stretch. Could I get away with a 20 volt cordless? Is there a corded model with power? Ideally a gas pole hedger would be the big dog to buy but we are talking $400+ Any ideas what would fit the bill? It's a Eugenia.
Thanks.

jpascone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,090

Hedger for Super Hedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpascone View Post
I have a hedge which I kid you not is 25 feet tall and 30 yards long.
Chances are I wouldn't hedge for more then a few hours at a stretch.
Are you going to keep it at 25 feet?
If so... you need a pro: VIDEO LINK

As for the height (and bulk)... call in a real nurseryman.
See about making a thinning and topping plan.
(it'll take a few years to do it right)

Rather than the cutter focus on the ladders and a scaffold or platform for them. Unless you absolutely can't string a cord out there go electric for maintenance.

If when you do the annual thin/top work needed... rent gas for the w/e.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 05-09-2013 at 08:41 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hedger for Super Hedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Are you going to keep it at 25 feet?
If so... you need a pro: VIDEO LINK

As for the height (and bulk)... call in a real nurseryman.
See about making a thinning and topping plan.
(it'll take a few years to do it right)

Rather than the cutter focus on the ladders and a scaffold or platform for them. Unless you absolutely can't string a cord out there go electric for maintenance.

If when you do the annual thin/top work needed... rent gas for the w/e.
I absolutley will bring in a pro when the time comes, the city sends me a letter every couple years but I want to just be able to carve a nice niche in to in about 6 foot tall to get a second vehicle in my driveway. Would a 20V cordless do the trick or would I still need a gas rig? Thanks.
jpascone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,090

Hedger for Super Hedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpascone View Post
Would a 20V cordless do the trick or would I still need a gas rig? Thanks.
Not there. Can't say.

Maybe a chainsaw or a reciprocating saw...
what do you already own?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 688

Hedger for Super Hedge

I'd call around tool rental places and see what you can rent. Here, if you rent for a day, on Saturday, it doesn't have to be returned till Monday.

To keep shrubs healthy it isn't good to trim more than 1/3 at a time.

I've rented chainsaws to handle big jobs when I couldn't afford to buy.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hedger for Super Hedge

A cordless is not a good idea for a hedge your size. You want something that delivers consistent torque or it can turn dangerous when it starts throttling down. I guess if you really wanted cordless, it might work out if you keep extra batteries charged and at the ready. Gas models will be much heavier than electric. Of course if a read correctly, you are talking about dragging 900 feet of extension cord around (30 yards times 3)? How deep is this hedge by the way. I am wondering what length cutting blade you need to aim for.

As mentioned, you should really have a trimming plan that may involve more than wacking the thing to sheer surfaces. Among other things, you should angle your side cuts so the top is narrower than the base so the whole hedge gets adequate sunlight. Otherwise you get that dead bottom look. And wacking off tops and sides of a hedge alone does not properly encourage healthy branch structures. It just forces little branchlets to grow behind the cuts.

I also ask if the hedge needs to be 25' tall? That immediately calls for a fairly large stepladder or scaffolding. Many an accident has been caused by someone trying to use a hedge as support for an extension ladder. A safe ladder that height is going to cost you a chunk too.

So, will buying a decent ladder, 900 feet of extension cord, and the trimmer itself going to save you as much as you think? I guess over the long term it could.

I think you will find that carving a channel out of this thing without properly trimming it will cause you problems later with the overall health of the hedge and its appearance.

Know anybody in Ireland that will drive one of their highway trimmers across the pond for you some weekend for a pint or two of Guiness? Those things have always fascinated me. They seem to move along at highway speed trimming 60-70 feet tall roadside "hedges". Here a machine like that would crawl along and stop every 10 feet so 6 hard hatted supervisors could get out of the truck to watch.

Last edited by user1007; 05-09-2013 at 02:49 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 77

Hedger for Super Hedge

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is looking for recommendations on simply carving out a piece of the hedge (ie, removing) to add some space to his property.. he plans on hiring a pro to trim the rest.
If that's right.. I don't know if a hedge trimmer is the appropriate tool for you... if it is, I can't imagine electric will suite you very well. Cordless versions will probably grant you minutes of use, not hours. I'm certainly far from an expert, but I would think a dense brush cutter, or maybe even chainsaw might suite you better.
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hedger for Super Hedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeTen View Post
If that's right.. I don't know if a hedge trimmer is the appropriate tool for you... if it is, I can't imagine electric will suite you very well. Cordless versions will probably grant you minutes of use, not hours. I'm certainly far from an expert, but I would think a dense brush cutter, or maybe even chainsaw might suite you better.
Excellent point. If what needs to be trimmed will not fit between the teeth of a hedge trimmer, it will not work whether it is battery, electric or gas. I think the maximum branch size for most of even the robust pro models is like 3/4" between the teeth?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
bbo

Rewards Points: 500

Hedger for Super Hedge

if you are looking for cheap, a lopper and a handsaw might be your best bet. ( I prefer my chainsaw, a little more $$ and oomph and safety needed though)

a hedge trimmer for me really only helps to trim things up and flatten things out.

to remove stuff, you need something more. the 1/3 rule works good. a picture would be cool. we don't have to many 25' hedges here.

bbo is offline   Reply With Quote