Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

Hedge To Block 16 foot house?

Hey guys, what do you think? Do you think Fishtail Palms would be a good hedge to instantly block windows at about 16 feet off the ground from view of my property? Fishtails may not win any beauty contests though, any better ideas? I'm looking for a real dense hedge that is tall. I think these are $350 installed for one about 16 feet high which isn't bad. Its south florida by the way.

Thanks!

Drywallhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

No hedge that grows fast or is instant is going to look especially great. You do have blinds on the windows?

Lining up plants in a row to form a hedge is not the only way to add privacy with plants. You have the entire property between the windows and the property line to work with and can place trees strategically to accomplish much of what a hedge would do. Trees are wonderful things and will give you shade if you need it and cooling as well.

Nothing against hedges necessarily but the fast growing ones especially are not "set it and forget it" and you are about to embark on a landscape and plant maintenance journey you may want to think through. Aggressive species are going to need constant pruning and thinning. You will have to pay to dispose of that debris somehow.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks for your comments. What I meant was the neighbors windows are 16 feet high right up on my lot line and I want to plant fishtail palms that are already 16 feet high (fully grown).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
No hedge that grows fast or is instant is going to look especially great. You do have blinds on the windows?

Lining up plants in a row to form a hedge is not the only way to add privacy with plants. You have the entire property between the windows and the property line to work with and can place trees strategically to accomplish much of what a hedge would do. Trees are wonderful things and will give you shade if you need it and cooling as well.

Nothing against hedges necessarily but the fast growing ones especially are not "set it and forget it" and you are about to embark on a landscape and plant maintenance journey you may want to think through. Aggressive species are going to need constant pruning and thinning. You will have to pay to dispose of that debris somehow.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywallhelp View Post
Hey guys, what do you think? Do you think Fishtail Palms would be a good hedge to instantly block windows at about 16 feet off the ground from view of my property? Fishtails may not win any beauty contests though, any better ideas? I'm looking for a real dense hedge that is tall. I think these are $350 installed for one about 16 feet high which isn't bad. Its south florida by the way.

Thanks!

You should pick a cool looking shrub for decoration in front of the windows/siding and just get blinds. That way you can have privacy AND it will look good. If you need a resource for blinds, I found a pretty useful website when I was looking for help installing mine. Check it out: http://www.blindsfirst.com/blindsopedia

But hey that's just my opinion! Good luck
maryjane23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjane23 View Post
You should pick a cool looking shrub for decoration in front of the windows/siding and just get blinds. That way you can have privacy AND it will look good. If you need a resource for blinds, I found a pretty useful website when I was looking for help installing mine. Check it out: http://www.blindsfirst.com/blindsopedia

But hey that's just my opinion! Good luck
I'm trying to block my backyard/pool area from overlooking windows on the neighbors houses