Has Anyone Had Any Experience Using This? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
It's always something

Rewards Points: 150

Has anyone had any experience using this?

I plan to till 10K sqft of my yard in the spring so I can plant Bermuda grass. I called a local rental store and they have something called a Dingo with a power rake attachment that should do the tilling just fine.

My goals are 1) till my yard ( after killing whatever existing vegetation I can ) 2) sift out any large rocks and 3) smooth it all out.

I'm not sure if there is a sifting attachment or not available for the Dingo as of right now so if anyone has suggestions for sifting that'd be super. I'm thinking I could back-drag with the bucket attachment to smooth out everything even though back-dragging isn't really good for buckets ( at least they didn't like us doing that in the Navy ).

If anyone has used this piece of equipment and can give me any insight as to what it really can do, I'd love to hear from you.

Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bermuda is one of the most demanding as far as maintenance to look nice. You sure you want 10Ksf of it?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
It's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Bermuda is one of the most demanding as far as maintenance to look nice. You sure you want 10Ksf of it?
I plan to install an irrigation system too.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 686

I feel a Dingo would be to small for that big an area. I'd use a Skid Loader with tracks or better real tractor, that way you could get one with a bucket as well as a power rake.
A power rake is not a tiller, it's used for grading out new top soil and breaking up the clumps.

Have you had the soil tested yet to see what it needs?

Tilling should not be needed for a new lawn.
Anytime I've seen it done the yard gets leveled out and rocks and trash gets removed then top soil is added, it gets grade out then seeded.
For that big an area I'd look into hydro seeding.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Tilling is always required for a new lawn. You cannot just oversead or sod earth crust and expect decent looking turfgrass.

I would get someone with a tractor to come in and really turn over the soil.

With that much turf, I agree you should explore hydroseeding it. Hydroseeding still needs nice soil prep though just like regular seed.

Last edited by user1007; 08-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleGuy View Post
I plan to install an irrigation system too.
It needs lots of nitrogen too in the range of 1 pound per 1,000sf per month. And regular, close cropped mowing. That coupled with the fact it grows by rhyzomes and very shallow roots make it a poor candidate for any sort of drought resistance.

I had a gorgeous bermuda lawn (during the months it was green) but it came it a great price. I should have replaced it with something else.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 686

http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/info...etailId=700024
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Scotts is a great source of generic turf advice. While expensive, the program will work if followed for most blade type grasses---perennial rye, bluegrass and fescue come to mind.

Its program is not suitable for managing bermuda given its demands for immediate, not long term release, of nitrogen and its dormant season.

And the link says nothing about skipping tilling the soil.

Here is a better link about bermuda grass growth in Georgia.

http://www.commodities.caes.uga.edu/...Management.htm

Note comments about mowing short with a reel type mower and extra summer fertilizer needs.

I just looked and the basic Scotts Turf Builder was not as expensive as I thought but still pricey over buying fertilizer without the pretty packaging. If you could use only the basic product, 30-3-3 NPK, you are looking at $40/month to feed bermuda during the growing season. At some points during the year you need more phosphourous and potassium than that I am guessing (soil test will tell) and you may need the weed prevention an insectiside additions.

Don't forget to factor in regular dethatching and aeration for bermuda.

Last edited by user1007; 08-28-2012 at 12:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
SingleGuy (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
It's always something

Sedster, everything I've read about Bermuda says its very drought-resistant. Are there maybe some hybrids that are more sensitive to drought?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Sedster, everything I've read about Bermuda says its very drought-resistant. Are there maybe some hybrids that are more sensitive to drought?
It is very resilient and will snap back quickly. It will just look awful while it is not getting water. I guess it is better than some others in this regard. Ground covers and plants more tolerant might be a better choice than any turf unless you really need 10Ksf of turf.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
It's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
It is very resilient and will snap back quickly. It will just look awful while it is not getting water. I guess it is better than some others in this regard. Ground covers and plants more tolerant might be a better choice than any turf unless you really need 10Ksf of turf.
10k is my front and part of my side yards lol I have another 1.5 acres that I've not even touched yet

I plan to put in hardscaping to lessen that need for so much turf but until then, it needs green curb appeal.

This winter may be when I do some more hardscaping so by spring maybe I can reduce 10k to 5k
Old 08-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I feel a Dingo would be to small for that big an area. I'd use a Skid Loader with tracks or better real tractor, that way you could get one with a bucket as well as a power rake.
A power rake is not a tiller, it's used for grading out new top soil and breaking up the clumps.

Have you had the soil tested yet to see what it needs?

Tilling should not be needed for a new lawn.
Anytime I've seen it done the yard gets leveled out and rocks and trash gets removed then top soil is added, it gets grade out then seeded.
For that big an area I'd look into hydro seeding.

Still more sound advise from the lawn expert, NOT
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 298

Quote:
10k is my front and part of my side yards lol I have another 1.5 acres that I've not even touched yet

I plan to put in hardscaping to lessen that need for so much turf but until then, it needs green curb appeal.

This winter may be when I do some more hardscaping so by spring maybe I can reduce 10k to 5k
If you want to invest that much, maybe you want to grow some hay and sell it. LOL

Seriously, if I were going to spend that much on prep and upkeep, I would investigate a way to make some cash back from it.

Good luck!

Advertisement