Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Share |

Hard freeze coming up, when to aerate?

Here in WI we will be having a hard freeze coming up this weekend. The temps have been in the high 60's lately. I have a small yard so I just manually aerate. The last rain that we had was over a week ago. When would be a good time to aerate? I know that it's usually a day or two after a rainstorm, but in my case there's no rain and a hard freeze coming up. Help!

Thanks....

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

I'd just wait until spring

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I'd just wait until spring
Canadians, our lazy half French neighbors to the North, would wait for anything but you serve no purpose aerating ground this late. Jan is right. Wait until after the spring thaw.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #4

Merci
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Canadians, our lazy half French neighbors to the North, would wait for anything but you serve no purpose aerating ground this late. Jan is right. Wait until after the spring thaw.
I usually aerate in fall so that the fertilzer gets down as deep as possible before winter.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

dinosaur -

Have you though that the fertilizer can wash down as much a 6" into the core holes, which is beyond most (or all) of the root growth. After that is just goes deeper and never gets a chance to do much. Maybe a surface application will get more fertilizer to the active roots.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
dinosaur -

Have you though that the fertilizer can wash down as much a 6" into the core holes, which is beyond most (or all) of the root growth. After that is just goes deeper and never gets a chance to do much. Maybe a surface application will get more fertilizer to the active roots.

Dick

helps the trees
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Aeration helps with gas infiltration and exchange more than anything and is a good thing to do nearly anytime of the year (hot summer weeks notwithstanding). It's a perfectly acceptable time to do it as well as spring, late spring, late summer, early fall, mid-fall. Aeration is an incredibly healthy thing to do for your lawn...especially if you're going to do some top dressing and/or over-seeding.

Golf courses aerate right now as well. Ask their greenskeeper what he/she thinks.

Finally, 6" is quite a deep penetration that you will likely not get nor need from your aerator.
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plump For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (10-03-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump
Aeration helps with gas infiltration and exchange more than anything and is a good thing to do nearly anytime of the year (hot summer weeks notwithstanding). It's a perfectly acceptable time to do it as well as spring, late spring, late summer, early fall, mid-fall. Aeration is an incredibly healthy thing to do for your lawn...especially if you're going to do some top dressing and/or over-seeding.

Golf courses aerate right now as well. Ask their greenskeeper what he/she thinks.

Finally, 6" is quite a deep penetration that you will likely not get nor need from your aerator.
So even after a hard frost like the one we will have tonight it's still ok to aerate this early in fall? When should I put the Scott's Winterguard down? I normally cut my lawn, aerate and then apply fertilizer around this time of the year, but this hard frost worries me.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1

So even after a hard frost like the one we will have tonight it's still ok to aerate this early in fall? When should I put the Scott's Winterguard down? I normally cut my lawn, aerate and then apply fertilizer around this time of the year, but this hard frost worries me.
Our forecast calls for close to 70 degrees by the 15th. Until then...high 50's.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester
Spring aeration exposes a lot of bare soil to warm season weed seeds like crabgrass
Old 10-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #12

hard freeze tonight. Looks like I won't be able to aerate or even apply the fall fertilzer.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

As dry as it is, and subsequently how hard the soil is, I don't think you'll have any luck attempting to aerate now. We probably need a good soaking, like 2-4" of rain, before the ground will soften enough.........
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
As dry as it is, and subsequently how hard the soil is, I don't think you'll have any luck attempting to aerate now. We probably need a good soaking, like 2-4" of rain, before the ground will soften enough.........
What about fertilizing?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
I normally aerate around mid October. The freeze came way too early this year. I just hope that I won't be paying for it in Spring.