DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Hard freeze coming up, when to aerate? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/hard-freeze-coming-up-when-aerate-158615/)

dinosaur1 10-01-2012 06:31 PM

Hard freeze coming up, when to aerate?
 
Here in WI we will be having a hard freeze coming up this weekend. The temps have been in the high 60's lately. I have a small yard so I just manually aerate. The last rain that we had was over a week ago. When would be a good time to aerate? I know that it's usually a day or two after a rainstorm, but in my case there's no rain and a hard freeze coming up. Help!

Thanks....

creeper 10-01-2012 07:29 PM

I'd just wait until spring

user1007 10-01-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 1021487)
I'd just wait until spring

Canadians, our lazy half French neighbors to the North, would wait for anything but you serve no purpose aerating ground this late. Jan is right. Wait until after the spring thaw.

creeper 10-01-2012 07:45 PM

Merci

dinosaur1 10-02-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 1021496)
Canadians, our lazy half French neighbors to the North, would wait for anything but you serve no purpose aerating ground this late. Jan is right. Wait until after the spring thaw.

I usually aerate in fall so that the fertilzer gets down as deep as possible before winter.

concretemasonry 10-02-2012 06:43 PM

dinosaur -

Have you though that the fertilizer can wash down as much a 6" into the core holes, which is beyond most (or all) of the root growth. After that is just goes deeper and never gets a chance to do much. Maybe a surface application will get more fertilizer to the active roots.

Dick

chrisn 10-03-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by concretemasonry (Post 1022296)
dinosaur -

Have you though that the fertilizer can wash down as much a 6" into the core holes, which is beyond most (or all) of the root growth. After that is just goes deeper and never gets a chance to do much. Maybe a surface application will get more fertilizer to the active roots.

Dick


helps the trees:wink:

Plump 10-03-2012 04:50 PM

Aeration helps with gas infiltration and exchange more than anything and is a good thing to do nearly anytime of the year (hot summer weeks notwithstanding). It's a perfectly acceptable time to do it as well as spring, late spring, late summer, early fall, mid-fall. Aeration is an incredibly healthy thing to do for your lawn...especially if you're going to do some top dressing and/or over-seeding.

Golf courses aerate right now as well. Ask their greenskeeper what he/she thinks.

Finally, 6" is quite a deep penetration that you will likely not get nor need from your aerator.

dinosaur1 10-05-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plump
Aeration helps with gas infiltration and exchange more than anything and is a good thing to do nearly anytime of the year (hot summer weeks notwithstanding). It's a perfectly acceptable time to do it as well as spring, late spring, late summer, early fall, mid-fall. Aeration is an incredibly healthy thing to do for your lawn...especially if you're going to do some top dressing and/or over-seeding.

Golf courses aerate right now as well. Ask their greenskeeper what he/she thinks.

Finally, 6" is quite a deep penetration that you will likely not get nor need from your aerator.

So even after a hard frost like the one we will have tonight it's still ok to aerate this early in fall? When should I put the Scott's Winterguard down? I normally cut my lawn, aerate and then apply fertilizer around this time of the year, but this hard frost worries me.

dinosaur1 10-05-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur1

So even after a hard frost like the one we will have tonight it's still ok to aerate this early in fall? When should I put the Scott's Winterguard down? I normally cut my lawn, aerate and then apply fertilizer around this time of the year, but this hard frost worries me.

Our forecast calls for close to 70 degrees by the 15th. Until then...high 50's.

dinosaur1 10-06-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester
Canadians, our lazy half French neighbors to the North, would wait for anything but you serve no purpose aerating ground this late. Jan is right. Wait until after the spring thaw.

Spring aeration exposes a lot of bare soil to warm season weed seeds like crabgrass

dinosaur1 10-11-2012 05:00 PM

hard freeze tonight. Looks like I won't be able to aerate or even apply the fall fertilzer.

jomama45 10-11-2012 06:12 PM

As dry as it is, and subsequently how hard the soil is, I don't think you'll have any luck attempting to aerate now. We probably need a good soaking, like 2-4" of rain, before the ground will soften enough.........

dinosaur1 10-11-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomama45
As dry as it is, and subsequently how hard the soil is, I don't think you'll have any luck attempting to aerate now. We probably need a good soaking, like 2-4" of rain, before the ground will soften enough.........

What about fertilizing?

dinosaur1 10-11-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jomama45
As dry as it is, and subsequently how hard the soil is, I don't think you'll have any luck attempting to aerate now. We probably need a good soaking, like 2-4" of rain, before the ground will soften enough.........

I normally aerate around mid October. The freeze came way too early this year. I just hope that I won't be paying for it in Spring.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved