Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

Share |

Gypsum requirement for rocky soil

While I am still working on redesigning my front yard and Lawn, I want to move all my plants (especially rose plants) to Power planter. This helps me to clean, dig & grade the rest of the area without any obstacles.

Now my questions are - 1) How do I determine whether or not I should add Gypsum before transplanting all my plants to Powerplant.

2) Should I also be adding a topsoil or compost before transplanting rose plants here ?

3) Currently this area has bubble sprinklers. I am sure these are not really meant for Rose plants. What should be the best sprinkler headers/nozzles, I should be using here. I don't want to go for Pop-up headers since this area is not the walkway.

Here is my Power Planter:
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/Forex101/PB080056.jpg

cprao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Get a soil sample and have it analyzed to if anything or what should be added to the soil in the Power Planter.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Get a soil sample and have it analyzed to if anything or what should be added to the soil in the Power Planter.
Ok. Got you. Are there any private companies that do soil testing ? Any shop names available in Los Angeles area ? How much does it cost approximately?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #4

This should get you in the right direction.

http://celosangeles.ucdavis.edu/Envi...an_Gardens.htm
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

UC Extension used to test soil for free for consumers but I am sure that is not happening anymore. They will have a list of soil labs though.

As for irrigation, let me put in a plug for drip. It waters in gallons per hour and not gallons per minute. You can get emitters in a variety of flow rates and configurations. There are simple fittings to adapt to your current system.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
UC Extension used to test soil for free for consumers but I am sure that is not happening anymore. They will have a list of soil labs though.

As for irrigation, let me put in a plug for drip. It waters in gallons per hour and not gallons per minute. You can get emitters in a variety of flow rates and configurations. There are simple fittings to adapt to your current system.
Thank you both High Gear and sdsester for your directions.