Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Share |

Gutters Downspouts into Corrugated

I recently had my downspouts upgraded from 2x3 to 3x4. I had the rectangular dropouts installed.

During a torrential downpour last night, I went to check and there was a ton of water coming down the downspouts.

Unfortunately, I saw some water splashing (not exactly overflowing) in the bottom out of where the 3x4 adapter is inserted into the 4" corrugated.

There are some things I am considering doing that don't include replacing the entire line.

1. Increasing the vertical corrugated height by maybe 1 foot

2. Using Oatey HDPE sealant to seal the corrugated joints

3. Use some sort of waterproof tape to seal the joints.

4. Place plastic sheeting around the ground area of the pipe that will deflect the water away from the corrugated pipe into the ground.

Also, does anyone see a benefit of one of these adapters over another?
Attached Images

Last edited by handy man88; 08-04-2014 at 06:18 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

Where does the end of the corrugated pipe go? Is there anything on the end? Water shouldn't back up unless there is something preventing it from exiting the pipe.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
Where does the end of the corrugated pipe go? Is there anything on the end? Water shouldn't back up unless there is something preventing it from exiting the pipe.
I actually have 3 runs where I saw the same splashing.

One is a long run across the width of the house...maybe 45 ft.

Another is a about a 20 ft. run that's T'd with neighbor's downspout.

Another is a 4 ft. run into a catch basin where a neighbor's gutter dumps also.

This is the dropout that was installed. It's large.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-...7251/100062340

I've never seen splashing when I had 2x3 gutters but those outlets were probably much more flow restricting.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #4

Using the surface area of the down pipe vs the corrugated, I believe the corrugated is smaller so it's more restrictive. The ribs don't help either. IMO, either a larger pipe or two outlets are the only fixes when there is heavy rain.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Using the surface area of the down pipe vs the corrugated, I believe the corrugated is smaller so it's more restrictive. The ribs don't help either. IMO, either a larger pipe or two outlets are the only fixes when there is heavy rain.
A (3x4) = 12 in^2
A (corrugated) = pi (2in)^2 = 12.6 in^2

So they are very close with the corrugated being slightly larger. I mean, the 3x4 gutter downspout with 4" corrugated is like the standard nowadays for upgraded drainage.

I don't see overflow per se. What I see is a lot of splashing as the water drops like 25 feet from the 2nd floor gutter down to ground level.

I'm wondering if the splashing can be minimized if I increase the height of the corrugated off the ground by attaching this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-4-in-...-100377415-_-N

corrugated (in ground) + adapter + corrugated (above ground) + downspout adapter (3x4)

all pieces joined with the oatey HDPE sealant and seams also taped (gorilla or tyvek tape?)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #6

If you have splashing from the gutters to the ground, that sounds to me like a downspout capacity issue. The open joints provide an escape path for the water. If you seal the joints, it will create more overflow from the gutters.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
If you have splashing from the gutters to the ground, that sounds to me like a downspout capacity issue. The open joints provide an escape path for the water. If you seal the joints, it will create more overflow from the gutters.
The splashing is light but visible. When I had 2x3 gutter downspouts, even with a torrential downpour, there was no overflow from the gutters.

I'm just thinking the new downspouts are evacuating the water from the gutter super fast. I wonder if I extend the corrugated higher, then there should be less or no splashing.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #8

Give it a try and see if it works.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #9

I had a somewhat similar issue here...

My downspout runs into a 4 inch corrugated pipe which then runs about 20 feet out and away from the house.

During a heavy down pour, I would see some water splashing over and out of the adapter that connects the rectangular aluminum down spout to the corrugated pipe.. (just like the photo you posted)

The issue I was having isn't a pipe volume capacity problem, but rather a friction issue sort of like the bow shock in front of a boat.

As the water drops the 10 or so feet from the roof, it runs through that adapter and then sees what basically amounts to a 90 degree turn.. When it hits that 90 degree turn, the friction losses start to add up.. the water splashes and begins to make its own "water dam"..

The solution is to do exactly what you have suggested, if I understood what you were saying..
You simply need to extend the corrugated pipe up vertically another foot or so... (but it has to be a single piece of pipe so no leaks)..

By doing this, you increase the head pressure pushing against the "water dam" at the bend where it goes from vertical to a horizontal run.. That 1 ft of extra head pressure is more than enough to overcome most of the friction.

Last edited by PaulBob; 08-05-2014 at 12:16 AM.
PaulBob is offline   Reply With Quote