DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Gutter dry well?

16K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Scuba_Dave 
#1 ·
Hello forum. It has been a while but the ground is thawed and it's time to start some projects outside.

I really hate my downspouts on my gutters washing out my yard and or mowing around them. I was think thinking about installing a drywell on each spout away from the house of course. (i have 4 spouts)

My questions are
1. how big of drywell do i need per down spout?
2. where can i find the dry wells (suitable for my purposes) or can i make them?
3. Any how to's or other information is appreciated.

Thanks in advanced...

#3 ·
My roof is 1,000 square feet actually! With 4 downspouts would i divide the amount of water between them and base my size off of that?

I probably should stored the water however we get plenty of rain here that i don't even water the lawn.

#4 ·
Yes, basically you would split the amount between the 4 downspouts
Tha's assuming the rain is coming down straight....gutters angled evenly to each downspout

Size of dry well also depends upon how fast water seeps into your soil
And how often it rains & how much rain you receive
My 55/300g drums will be above ground
Its a bit of work to dig down & bury a 55g drum

Might look up the weather channel & see what your average rainfall is

#6 ·
I ran my front downspout under ground into the garden along my driveway
It's in a 4" perforated pipe & the end comes up to ground level
Its only buried about 6" down

They have a fitting that can go up to grass level for overflow
There are also fancy kits you can buy
If 2 downspouts on the sides are near each other you could dig a trench & run them both to the same drywell
Again depends upon your rainfall & amount of work needed

#7 ·
do you have a link to that kit? I don't really need the debris peice simply because i have no trees on my lot. However if the systems isn't too expensive that may be the way to go.

Unfortunately my spouts are all on seperate ends of the house so i would have to have 4 seperate systems.

you've been a great help! thanx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.