Gutter Drainage - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Gutter Drainage

Not sure which forum to post this in...I'll try here. One of my downspouts leads right onto my back patio. The gutters were put in afterwards, so it wasn't possible to drain them under the patio. I have a 1.5' area between the patio and the house (see attached photos). I'd like to bury some PVC pipe and drain this downspout away from the patio/house. The problem is my yard is very flat. I don't have a side of a hill out of which I could protrude the end of a drainage pipe.
I havre seen PVC pipe with holes in it. Can I use that to drain into the ground? I would worry about creating a soft area or a sinkhole. If I dissipate it enough could I potentially drain it this way?

Don't mind the dirt under the trough..that's from the chipmunks. I'm also trying to deal with them.

Any advice? Thanks.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

Gutter Drainage

You do not want to put perforated pipe near your foundation. The purpose of gutters and downspouts is to divert the water away from your house. A few more pic would help, but could you tie your downspout into solid pipe, buried in the stone bed and ending in a drywell?

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Gutter Drainage

What exactly is a drywell? I get that it is a hole in the ground that you drain the water into...but how deep? Do you fill it with stones, then dirt/grass above?

I wasn't clear on my thinking with the perforated pipe. I was planning to run solid (non-perforated) pvc along the stone bed, then turn it into the backyard for about 10-15 feet, then converting to another 10 or so feet (or more) of perforated pipe.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Gutter Drainage

A drywell is a hole in hopefully porous ground. It is walled (lined) typically with unmortared brick to keep it from caving in.

It may be optionally filled with rocks so the ground can be replaced on top and not fall in and not need a solid lid, but this reduces the water holding capacity while the water gradually seeps into the ground.

You do not want to discharge the water in the 1-1/2 foot space between the house and the patio because then the water will stay near the foundation and may find its way into the basement more quickly.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-26-2010 at 08:02 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Gutter Drainage

I've used this product from NDS with good results. You do need soil that perks.
http://www.ndspro.com/water-drainage/dry-well/flo-well/
GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gutter Drainage

Keep in mind that 1" of rain on a 1000 sq ft of roof produces around 600 gallons of water
A drywell will work if your soil drains water easily

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote