DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Guidance on beginner landscaping ideas

Tags
new jersey
866 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jimn01 
#1 ·
So I have been simply trying to keep things simple and get my lawn in better shape. Due to the season, I cannot go outside and take a relevant picture right now so here is one from lovely Google Maps which shows an almost up-to-date example of how the lawn looks.

The grass near the tree is very hard to work with. I had the tree removed last year and had overseeded and tried to bring some life to it. I will continue to due so but will focus on the lawn closer to the house to fix some of the blandness.

I used a service last year for the grass which helped but it is way too costly and potentially a waste of money for certain things. Now with spring approaching my first question is:
- What should I be doing in spring, throughout the summer, and fall? The landscaping company does the following on separate visits: Early Spring Organic Fertilizer, Early Spring Weed Control, Grub Treatment, Spring Organic Fertilizer, Spring Weed Control, Late Summer Organic Fertilizer, Late Summer Weed Control, and this repeats in the fall. Additionally, there is Aeration and Overseeding done in the early spring.

Each one of these visits is separate in cost (with some discounts thrown in) but it seems wiser to simply purchase the correct fertilizer and weed control and do it myself throughout the season. I know grass differs depending on location but any thoughts on what to purchase?

Regarding the landscaping around the house, I had removed everything on the side of the house to get more of a fresh start. There are wood chips used and poorly thought out shrubs that are just not worth it.
- I am looking for some articles on how to proceed but any suggestions to get started? Specifically, I am trying to find some ideas on easy things to plant and care for that will really help the curb appeal so I don't look like that lazy neighbor.

Thanks for helping me get started and I appreciate any feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for using organic fertilizer. Like all lawn service companies they seem to use too much fertilizer. You probably need to instep dunce organic matter . The easiest way is to use a mulching lawn mover and leave the grass clippings on the lawn.

Get your soil tested for organic matter , pH and other nutrient levels.

I only use weed control where necessary and usually target it not a general broadcast .

Do get the soil tested . Otherwise it is a guessing game .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.