Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1

Share |

Growing A Willow From A Cutting...How/When To Prune?

I got a cutting from a neighbor's willow tree(White Willow my research tells me). I planted it in mid June. It started as an 18" cutting about 1/2" diameter at the base. I planted it about 12" deep and watered like crazy. Now I have a 7+ft "tree". It's not really growing in typical tree fashion though, and is looking more like a tall, thin bush, with all the large branches starting from what was once the cutting. There's not much of a trunk to speak for. I'm wondering how to go about pruning it and maybe more importantly, how long I should wait before doing so. I've read that it's best to prune young willows in late winter but those text refer to store bought trees, not those grown from cuttings. Anyone have experience?

JL-KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL-KA View Post
I got a cutting from a neighbor's willow tree(White Willow my research tells me). I planted it in mid June. It started as an 18" cutting about 1/2" diameter at the base. I planted it about 12" deep and watered like crazy. Now I have a 7+ft "tree". It's not really growing in typical tree fashion though, and is looking more like a tall, thin bush, with all the large branches starting from what was once the cutting. There's not much of a trunk to speak for. I'm wondering how to go about pruning it and maybe more importantly, how long I should wait before doing so. I've read that it's best to prune young willows in late winter but those text refer to store bought trees, not those grown from cuttings. Anyone have experience?

All you need to know about willows.

http://www.bluestem.ca/start-cuttings.htm

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Good info. Thanks.
JL-KA is offline   Reply With Quote