Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #1

Share |

Growing plants on top of a patio wall.

I'm trying to figure a way to grow a plant with long foliage on top of my patio wall. The wall is about 4 1/2 feet tall and is about 1/2 ' wide. I'm thinking of building a rectangular box to hold the soil, but I'm not sure how to implement the draining. On rainy days, I'm sure this box over fill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

suncowiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #2

Well, you would have to line the box with something water-proof - like a shower pan liner. Then, I would fill the bottom with at least an inch of gravel or small stone/pebbles and arrange a slant toward a good area to put a drain (where you can't see it coming out). Kind of like a shower drain - sloped to where you want it to drain. Then drill a 1" inch hole on an angle in the box and insert a 1" piece of PVC through to capture and allow the water to drain out - cover the end inside the box with wire mesh, as in for a faucet to prevent stones from going through it. Seal the areas where the PVC goes through with silicone to prevent leakage. You may be able to use copper instead of PVC as it would look nicer if you can see it coming out.

Seems complicated, I know... I hope there is an easier solution! Good luck!

missfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfixer View Post
Well, you would have to line the box with something water-proof - like a shower pan liner. Then, I would fill the bottom with at least an inch of gravel or small stone/pebbles and arrange a slant toward a good area to put a drain (where you can't see it coming out). Kind of like a shower drain - sloped to where you want it to drain. Then drill a 1" inch hole on an angle in the box and insert a 1" piece of PVC through to capture and allow the water to drain out - cover the end inside the box with wire mesh, as in for a faucet to prevent stones from going through it. Seal the areas where the PVC goes through with silicone to prevent leakage. You may be able to use copper instead of PVC as it would look nicer if you can see it coming out.

Seems complicated, I know... I hope there is an easier solution! Good luck!
yeah, i was thinking of something similar. just didn't want to put so much effort on the draining. thanks for you suggestion.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Don't know it all, yet!

Any chance you could shoot us a photo?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

I took a video:

Let me know. Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
Fixer-'til-broker

Get a few ceadar or redwood (any rot-resistant wood) planks. Fence planks will do. Build boxes however big/elaborate you wish. Drill 1/8-1/4" holes near the bottom. Put gravel in the bottom, fill with soil, plant, done. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYtestdummy View Post
Get a few ceadar or redwood (any rot-resistant wood) planks. Fence planks will do. Build boxes however big/elaborate you wish. Drill 1/8-1/4" holes near the bottom. Put gravel in the bottom, fill with soil, plant, done. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I could give this a try for one season and see how it goes.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Go to HD and look at the plastic "tubs" available with trays for excess water. They come in several colors, are about 7"-8" wide and 18", 24" & 30" lengths.

Build a wood box (your choice of materials) and just put in a few 5/6 treated supports inset in the bottom. The box will be over width, but if long anr one of several it makes a nice cap for the wall.

Anchor the boxes to the top of the wall and put in the the size tubs and trays you have decided to buy.

I use these as on slab planters on the patio and also hung on the balcony of my townhouse. - Not high-tech, but it works and the trays hold extra moisture to eliminate frequent watering, but do allow an overflow.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-16-2009 at 02:05 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Go to HD and look at the plastic "tubs" available with trays for excess water. They come in several colors, are about 7"-8" wide and 18", 24" & 30" lengths.

Build a wood box (your choice of materials) and just put in a few 5/6 treated supports inset in the bottom. The box will be over width, but if long anr one of several it makes a nice cap for the wall.

Anchor the boxes to the top of the wall and put in the the size tubs you have decided to but.

I use these as on slab planters on the patio and also hung on the balcony of my townhouse. - Not high-tech, but it works and the trays hold extra moisture to eliminate frequent watering, but do allow an overflow.

Dick
Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #10

diytestdummy; Thanx for the laugh, I needed that! God Bless y'all!

Lali is offline   Reply With Quote