Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

In-ground Sprinkler System Doesn't Work

We've just moved into a place which has a Lawn Genie in-ground sprinkler system installed. I've managed to obtain the manual online, but it seems to be all about the control system (mounted on a wall inside). There's not a thing in it about the outdoor setup.

I've attached a couple of pictures of the outdoor setup. I have no idea what it is, what it does, or what I should do with it. But as things stand at the moment, when I use the control system to turn the sprinklers on...nothing happens. But it has been demonstrated to my wife, so we know it does work. The only question is why it isn't. On one of the posts sticking out of the ground there's a switch which can be set to 'On' or off (shown with a red arrow in the image). As far as I can tell, it makes no difference at all.

Any help at all will be gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
In-ground Sprinkler System Doesn't Work-one.jpg   In-ground Sprinkler System Doesn't Work-two.jpg  

Budfudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

WAG...... See if your water system valve to your sprinkler pipe (control manifold is open)... often teurned off in vacant/leaking sprikler systems.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
WAG...... See if your water system valve to your sprinkler pipe (control manifold is open)... often teurned off in vacant/leaking sprikler systems.
Most logical first step.....you can confirm the valves 'sort of' work by turning that knob on top.

Assuming you get water......start checking connections...and check the fuse on the controller.

Those use 24Vac....there is a fuse for the supply. If there is a short somewhere...the fuse blows but the controller is still on.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm sorry...but you'll have to be a bit clearer. I really know nothing.

What is 'WAG'?

Where do I see my water system valve to my sprinkler pipe? I think I understand that you're saying the water to the sprinkler pipe might be turned off (the equivalent of pulling the fuse), so that nothing I do with the sprinkler system will make any difference at all. If that's the case, where will I find whatever I need to find to check that and turn it back on (if it's off)?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Most logical first step.....you can confirm the valves 'sort of' work by turning that knob on top.

Assuming you get water......start checking connections...and check the fuse on the controller.

Those use 24Vac....there is a fuse for the supply. If there is a short somewhere...the fuse blows but the controller is still on.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - but as I said to the previous reply, I'm really clueless. I need you to be simpler. Think as if you were explaining it to a semi-intelligent ten year old.

Okay, eight year old.

If I turn the knob on top (which way? Clockwise or anti?) what should happen that will confirm the valves 'sort of' work?

What connections should I check? Do you mean the physical wire connections between the whatever-they-ares sticking out of the ground (okay, maybe seven year old)?

Where is the fuse on the controller? For that matter, where is the controller? Wait - even as I typed that I think I realised - the controller is the control panel inside the house? I believe I've even noticed a fuse on that.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfudder View Post
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm sorry...but you'll have to be a bit clearer. I really know nothing.

What is 'WAG'?

Where do I see my water system valve to my sprinkler pipe? I think I understand that you're saying the water to the sprinkler pipe might be turned off (the equivalent of pulling the fuse), so that nothing I do with the sprinkler system will make any difference at all. If that's the case, where will I find whatever I need to find to check that and turn it back on (if it's off)?
Buddfudder.... Great Name

WAG= Wild Ass Guess

You understood my comments exactly..... finding your water supply lines is basically pokeing around and getting to know your system.

Some tips:

Sprinkler systems are often put in in a white PVC plastic pipe . They obviously have to have a water supply, which often is picked up at either an outside water meter, or where your line enters the house, or at a outdoor water spigot and there will be a backflow preventer and a valve, could be metal or plastic.... sometimes those water supply valves are at the normally green plastic boxes used to decoratively cover the sprinkler manifolds and wiring.

Good luck
Old 07-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budfudder View Post
I'm really clueless.
Then you need to do some homework, or call a landscape company and pay them to get it running.

You have sprinkler heads in your yard -- they pop up and spray when water reaches them. They are grouped in zones --- your house can't supply enough water for all the sprinkler heads at once, so there is a solenoid valve for every 4-8 sprinkler heads. The solenoid valves can be operated manually.
So first you need to know you are getting water to the solenoids. Nobody on the internet is going to be able to find the shut-off on your house-- you will need to find it.
Second, you need to manually open the sprinkler solenoid valve. How? Most you turn the solenoid. Go to the Lawn Genie web site try to find the valve you have. Once you think you know the valve type --- look the that model number is molded into your valves. When you know the model number, should be pretty easy to find operating manuals/how to fix/replace --- see also You-Tube.
Third, if the valve works manually, does it work electrically? You have the manual for the controller, so you should be able to run a zone. A voltage meter will confirm if power is getting to the solenoid.
From the little I know, seems like pretty much all manufacturers make cheap solenoids with no strain reliefs on the wires, so the wires can break easily, particularly right at the solenoid where you grab it to turn it manually. Also, any connection with a wire nut can corrode and lose contact (they sell good wire nuts for sprinklers that are weather rated, but many people decide to save a few cents)

Lawn Genie Manuals : https://www.lawngeniestore.com/Comer...oduct_manuals/

Last edited by SPS-1; 07-08-2014 at 07:53 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Then you need to do some homework...[/URL]
That's what I'm doing here...homework. Trying to learn.