Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Share |

ground cover prep

Just bought some jasmine ground cover plants and also some kind of peanut ground cover. I forgot to ask at the nursery about planting them.

Since I hope they spread and eliminate mowing in a large area do I have to remove the sod in nearby areas where they are suppose to spread to?

The nursery person just said not to put netting down or they won't spread.

thanks

Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

ground cover prep

You should put the same care into prepping the soil bed for ground covers as you would for anything else. After all you want to encourage the plants to spread and they won't have much of a chance in compacted soil.

Rototill (or otherwise turnover) the ground cover areas thoroughly and fold in suitable organic matter and other ammendments to correct soil inbalances. You will want to add a balanced garden fertilizer but one not so high in nitrogen as for turf grasses. Something time released would be a good choice. Two I liked best were Berry's Best and Osmocote. The latter is fairly pricey but BB from a fertilizer or feed store was very reasonable.

Think about drip irrigation with rainjet and spray type emitters. Drip waters in gallons per hour and not gallons per minute like conventional sprinklers so you have less run-off and can put water just where you want it. Beyond its obvious environmental impact plants really like it.

Not sure what type of peanut groundcover you got and am curious. Can you post a picture or the actual name when you get a chance.

Just one other warning. I love things like star jasmine as a ground cover. It has nice glossy leaves and pretty white flowers. The fragrance can be very intense though so be careful planting it in an enclosed patio area if people around are sensitive.

Turf grasses are the highest maintenance of any plant material in the landscape so blending in nice ground covers makes lots of sense even beyond not having to mow. And ground covers can add lots of color and texture too.

Last edited by user1007; 06-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

ground cover prep

sdsester, I copied this photo and info. This ground cover is fairly popular here in central Florida. But I haven't talked to anyone personally who uses it. The nursery I use is local and very good about carrying things that do well here.

"Ornamental Peanut is an attractive, low-maintenance groundcover, that blooms bright yellow flowers from spring to first frost. This drought-tolerant, hardy perennial requires no supplemental water after it is established. It is in the peanut family, thus it makes its own nitrogen. This eliminates the need of nitrogen fertilizers. It has no known pests or disease which makes it an excellent ground cover of choice!"
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote