Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Share |

green house in Central Florida

Here's my plan... I gave a lot of thought to this. but I'm not very experienced at growing my own food.

I am looking to build two separate mid-sized green houses. They will be 4.5 feet wide, 6 foot tall peaked center with 4 foot tall side walls. And 6 foot in length. There will be 3 trophs in each built from wood placed in a U shape against the side and rear wall so I have the center to take care of all plants. The frame will be built from 2x4's and lined with 6mil plastic sheet.

The trophs will be built all the same size. Which is 4 foot by 15 inch, and 2 foot in depth. They will have legs that are 6 inchs tall. This will only leave 1.5 feet from the height of the dirt to the side wall top. So I plan to place the shorter plants along the side walls, and the taller plants at the back wall where they will have 3.5 feet from the dirt to peak to grow.

*as I stated in the title, I live in central Florida (Orlando) and am looking to grow a few veggies to eat year round. Reason is, I want to become more self sufficient and control more of what I consume.

*Questions:

1.The reason I am building two is so I can have one house for warm weather plants, and another for cool/cold weather plants. This way I can control the temperatures in each and continue to grow and produce food year round. Is this even possible?

-Plants I am looking to grow (each one in there own troph (except for Spinach & strawberries which will grow in the same):

-Cool/Cold: Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach & strawberries, -Warm: Red bell peppers, Jalapenos, Tomatoes

2. How should I go about controlling temperature? I was thinking lighting at the peak on the warm weather tent for cold winter nights. Although, we don't get many of those anyways in Orlando. What lights should I choose, and what size? And for the cold weather house, I was thinking of using a small evaporative cooler and some ventilation areas in the walls. Will this work?-What temperature should I try to keep the cool weather, and warm weather tents?

3. Would it be beneficial to build a drip system? I want this to be as successful as possible since I plan to eat these veggies year round. I think a drip system would take the guess work and mistakes out of watering for a newbie like myself...

4. Should I also cover the floor of the green house with the 6mil plastic sheet to ward off bugs and other un-wanteds?I plan to grow 100% organic with zero pesticides/chemicals...

sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
DIY staff

You will cook most plants in your semitropical state during the summer plan on sun screening over the top and lots of ventilation----winter there should offer plenty of natural light--

Pea gravel on the floor is best---

Drip irrigation is ideal--

I suggest you make a trip to a local green house---and meet the caretaker--ask questions about regulating the heat----even up here the greenhouses need screening and open windows and fans in the summer.

concretemasonry (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

You could cook the veg. and grow then in the building, think of the energy savings.
Other then getting some seeds started during the cold months I can see little use for a green house in FL. You can just about grow year round down there outside. Preseve what you pick in the summer and eat them in the cold months.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

it's not so hard to grow warm weather plants year round. but that's the reason I want to use 2 different greenhouses, one for the cool weather plants to grow year round as well.

and even though we really don't get that cold in central florida, there's at least 2 to 3 months where it would be difficult grow warm weather plants.
sen2two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sen2two For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-13-2012)