Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Gravel in yard next to driveway

Snow plowing was rough on my gravel driveway this winter, lots of gravel is now lying in my yard along my 800 foot long driveway, on both sides, 5 to 10 ft out. I've tried to use a rake to get it back in the drive, but this is extremely to much physical labor. In 2 hours I have only got about 25 ft done. Is there an easier way to get this work done? Is there a piece of equipment that would help me with this project?

automan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

I'm not aware of any machinery that removes gravel out of grass. Unfortunately it sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you. My advice, if you have any kids, neighbor kids, nieces, nephews, grandkids, etc., pay them to do this for you.

mjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #3

I was watching a landscaper last week at a traffic light and it gave me a great idea for a problem we have with tons of acorns at my house. You might be able to apply the same idea here.

There are a few gas trimmers which can swap out the weed trimmer piece on the end for other attachments. The attachment i saw the landscaper using, and have seen at the stores, is a brush attachment. Its basically a wheel of brushes which rotate for sweeping - kind of like a paddle boat wheel.

My plan was to try and use something like this to "sweep" acorns. You might be able to apply the same idea to the gravel. Just a thought...
D-2.5-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ayuh,... A Power Broom will work to remove the stones, along with abit of other debris...
Paving the driveway will Cure the problem...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #5

Visited Stihl's webpage and I think I found a piece of equipment that might do the job. Don't know if I can afford it, but I do know Stihl makes a superior product that will last years. Going to visit my Stihl dealer tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... A Power Broom will work to remove the stones, along with abit of other debris...
Paving the driveway will Cure the problem...
But how much is it likely to cost to pave an 800' driveway?
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
But how much is it likely to cost to pave an 800' driveway?
Depending on your location and how hungry the contractors are - about 2.00-2.50 a square ft. installed
g60vwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

I can attest to the gravel. My plow guy is only allowed one path down the middle of the gravel part of my drive. Where we park is concrete but the drive to the barn is gravel. It got a little tight by the end of the winter so I had him push a little extra. I only had to rake for an hour or so.
Try to slow the speed of the plow truck so he isn't throwing the snow/gravel so far. Also have him put shoes on the plow. It keeps the blade an inch off the drive. If it wasn't so far off thedrive you could use a backpack blower. I used that one year when he got a little crazy. I just blew it back in the drive.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #9

Well I visited my local Stihl dealer today and for just under 700.00 he can fix me up with a piece of equipment that "should" do the job. I hate experiments, especially when it's my money. In the meantime, I have been using a 10 HP Little Wonder blower to move the gravel back into the driveway. Less physical,but very slow and consumes a lot of gas. I believe a combo of the blower and the rake would work pretty good, now all I have to do is convince my wife to help. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by g60vwr View Post
Depending on your location and how hungry the contractors are - about 2.00-2.50 a square ft. installed
So that would make the cost $16,000 to $20,000. I can see why they still have gravel.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,004

I got an estimate of 4500 a few years ago for a single width driveway that goes from the raod, past the house and widens to a double garage about 30 ft behind the house. Too rich for my blood. I was told at the time that is is somewhat dependent on the price of oil.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote