Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Share |

Gravel driveway

Can someone please give me some information on installing a gravel driveway. Over the years of parking my car on the dirt next to my house it gets very muddy when it rain or snow. I would like to put down gravel in that area, I need to know if there should be a underlayment of another material and how far down to go. Any information or websites would be helpful, Thanks

bructa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Gravel driveway

Ayuh,.... For parkin' just a car, I'd think diggin' out a box, Length X Width X 8" would be plenty strong enough,...

You could line the hole with mud barrier fabric, 'n fill it with crushed stone, 'n compact it,....
Or,...
Just fill it with crushed stone, 'n compact it,...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
cleveman (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Gravel driveway

please put your location in your profile so we can see where you are.

In my area, most people just dump and then spread some crushed limestone on the ground and then drive on it.

The best way is to lay something like a driveway apron out with forms like you are fixing to place some concrete there. Let's say our area is 12' wide. So you have your forms set to elevation and you have a good slope away from the garage. In the case of a driveway, you have a nice crown to the driveway or have provided for drainage somehow.

Now you can put down your landscape fabric if you like. I understand old carpet works well also.

Next, place some 3" roadstone or 3" minus in the area and run a compactor over the area. Screed the stuff as necessary to get it even. Make the original placement 4" thick and try to screed it off before you compact it.

Now place some 1 1/2" roadstone on top of this to the top of the forms and screed it in and compact it, adding more material as necessary. Put in maybe 2" of this stuff. Keep adding material and screeding until you are to the top of your forms and it won't compact anymore.

You now have a 6" thick surface which you can back a loaded concrete truck over and it will not leave an imprint.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-31-2014), oh'mike (03-31-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

Gravel driveway

The drive way cloth should not be an option it should be mandatory!
http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products/drivewayfabric
If it's not used you can count on the stone to keep sinking into the ground for years and have to keep adding to it to offset the sinking.
I use #57 stone.
Never use any pea stone. It has rounded edges and will never pack down.
It needs rough edges and fines in the mix to lock it in place.
Good luck trying to get a 6" thick layer to lock in. 4" should be plenty.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Gravel driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
please put your location in your profile so we can see where you are.

In my area, most people just dump and then spread some crushed limestone on the ground and then drive on it.

The best way is to lay something like a driveway apron out with forms like you are fixing to place some concrete there. Let's say our area is 12' wide. So you have your forms set to elevation and you have a good slope away from the garage. In the case of a driveway, you have a nice crown to the driveway or have provided for drainage somehow.

Now you can put down your landscape fabric if you like. I understand old carpet works well also.

Next, place some 3" roadstone or 3" minus in the area and run a compactor over the area. Screed the stuff as necessary to get it even. Make the original placement 4" thick and try to screed it off before you compact it.

Now place some 1 1/2" roadstone on top of this to the top of the forms and screed it in and compact it, adding more material as necessary. Put in maybe 2" of this stuff. Keep adding material and screeding until you are to the top of your forms and it won't compact anymore.

You now have a 6" thick surface which you can back a loaded concrete truck over and it will not leave an imprint.
Ayuh,.... That's all fine, 'n dandy is some cases,...

I suggest boxin' out the area, as doin' it on the existin' grade can dam up water,...
Boxin' it out, leaves the grades right where they were,...
drainage shouldn't be an issue then,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
Quick-Home-Buyers

Gravel driveway

Make sure that the finished floor level of your driveway is not higher than your home or garage. If your dirt driveway needs to be lowered, remove a thin layer of dirt so that after you add your layer of gravel or limestone, your finished floor level is lower than your home.
QuickHomeBuyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #7

Gravel driveway

not sure if it has been mentioned but lookup a fabric called filter fabric. This is a different type than your standard weed barrier.
mbender2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #8

Gravel driveway

How to prepare the pad depends a lot on where you live in the type of soil you have in your area. Softer soils may require a layer of larger stone for a subbase before you use the smaller Stones. Filter fabric is always a good idea no matter where you are or what the soil conditions are. You should also plan on preparing the area so that in the future it is ready for paving if and when you decide to do that.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Gravel driveway

Just throw down some grade 8 and drive over it a few times, that should do the trick.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Gravel driveway

Grade 8?

What part of the world are you hiding in?

If you have oversized aggregate you need something to keep if from just going down and floating in lower strength/unstable soil.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
DIY staff

Gravel driveway

Yep--your soil type is needed for the best methods---

My new heavy truck is making a mess of my driveway----most rock needed this year---