Gravel Driveway - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

gravel driveway

Driveway has small #4's down now. It is a couple of years old. It also has a couple of fairly steep hills. These hills require the most maintenance (w/ tractor box blade) as tires leave ruts when going up. Will putting smaller graver, #57 or smaller, make driveway less "bumpy" driving on, and would these smaller stones require even more maintenance on hills (easier to create ruts in)?? (click pics for larger size)

Advertisement

Last edited by ugabulldog; 04-19-2012 at 12:29 PM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

gravel driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
Driveway has small #4's down now. It is a couple of years old. It also has a couple of fairly steep hills. These hills require the most maintenance (w/ tractor box blade) as tires leave ruts when going up. Will putting smaller graver, #57 or smaller, make driveway less "bumpy" driving on, and would these smaller stones require even more maintenance on hills (easier to create ruts in)??

I can't see your pictures and I wish I understand some of the terminology that's used in your area, but I'll give you some advice.

What your looking for is a well-graded gravel, meaning it has stone of increasing size in it from 0" to say 5/8" of an inch. Where I'm from that product is called Granular 'M' and is used in driveways, gravel roads and shouldering. It compacts well, is very dense (100% crushed aggregate source) and shouldn't rut seeing that it has a firm sub-grade and normal maintenance. The problem with open-graded aggregates is they don't knit together well and the aggregate interlock is non existant. Although the drainage characteristics can't be beat.

In short, look for a well-graded aggregate, from a crushed stone source with the biggest stone being 5/8" or 3/4".

Advertisement

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

gravel driveway

Any gravel driveway in wet areas on a hill is going to require constant maintenance, short of building it with large interlocking stones (essentially pavers). But if you were going to do that, you might as well pave the road.

The small stone is easily moved by tires, creating ruts. Larger stone moves less easily, but the ride is not as smooth. For my money, I would go with larger stone, a little less maintenance, and a little bumpier ride.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

gravel driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Any gravel driveway in wet areas on a hill is going to require constant maintenance, short of building it with large interlocking stones (essentially pavers). But if you were going to do that, you might as well pave the road.

The small stone is easily moved by tires, creating ruts. Larger stone moves less easily, but the ride is not as smooth. For my money, I would go with larger stone, a little less maintenance, and a little bumpier ride.
thanks to both.... I was told that adding smaller stone on top of the larger would create smoother, but I was thinking that the smaller stones would fall dwon between the larger and essentailly not be of benefit. If I understand you correctly, you are in agreement...
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

gravel driveway

Actually I did not realize you intended to add small stone over larger stone. That is a good plan, since the small stone will fill voids in the large stone, locking together, and will make for a more durable, though certainly not maintenance free, surface. I thought you were wondering about the difference between a surface composed entirely of small stone versus a surface composed entirely of large stone. A graded mix is always going to be better in terms of durability.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote