Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

Gravel Drive

There maybe a answer to my problem somewhere in this forum. I have made the mistake of spreading gravel that was left over from what I bought for my septic line which is 1 and half to 2" clean rock. My existing drive which is 1000' long has crusher run and looks nice and level. Where we park at though had no gravel so I spread what I had left from the septic line in this parking area 40'x30'. How can I blend in the clean rock with no fines to the exsisting drive. Where we park now is hard to keep smooth because the rock just keep shifting around instead of packing. Do I need to add some fines or what? Thanks for any advise

dbohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Gravel Drive

Quote:
Where we park now is hard to keep smooth because the rock just keep shifting around instead of packing. Do I need to add some fines or what?
Ayuh,... Put an inch or 2 of crusher run over top of it...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

Gravel Drive

you definately need to add fines. Either stone dust or mason sand. Stone dust will give better stability in the long term.

Just add the fines about 1 or 2 inches and the easy way is to do nothing and the fines will work their way into the mix over time.
jasoninct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #4

Gravel Drive

I had thought about adding crusher run over the rock.Stone dust? I have heard but ever used it. Will it pack hard? It has rained here recently and I now have soft mushy spots where the larger rock are So I need to address this as well. Who sells stone dust?
Thanks
dbohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Gravel Drive

Crusher run and stone dust are terms that vary from location to location and there is no specific standard.

Generally, you need fines in a range of sizes. Also coming from a manufactured stone plant (crusher, etc.) they generally are angular asnd will compact and be more stable once they are in place. A manufactured masonry sand might be an inprovement, nut natural mason sand would be all one size and rounds, so the stability is not there for this allpication, but is superior for use in mortar.

Just call a LOCAL aggregate supplier and get a price on what he has available for your application. You might find something better available a few hundred miles away, but the delivery of the material can be more than the actual cost of the material. They have rear end dumps that can have the back gate chained and dump it in a 8' wide strip if you are doing a driveway. (They back in and dump going out.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #6

Gravel Drive

stone dust when compacted while moist will pack almost as firm as asphalt. It won't pack if its dry.

jasoninct is offline   Reply With Quote