Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Grass type in transition states (and an aesthetics discussion)

In Maryland, where we can't get good grass because it's either scraggly and dying and brown in the heat or scraggly and dying and brown in the cold.

I'm looking at reseeding with some kind of Tall Fescue (till the lawn, add vermiculite and peat, and seed), but I would rather do Zoysia grass. I'm not going to because it turns brown, and that would be terrible ... unless everybody else did it too.

Let's break for a second and talk about Americans and Japanese.

The Japanese tend to generally appreciate moving aesthetics. These are people who stop life to watch Sakura bloom and die, who plant flower gardens based on seasonal flowers and then watch the flowers bud, bloom, and die. The seasons move, life moves, things grow and die and grow again.

I've watched people here maintain flower gardens. They buy a set of fully bloomed flowers from Home Depot, transplant them, then rip them out when they start to wilt and replace them with new, full-bloom flowers. They don't want to watch some ugly green thing grow, or watch their precious pansies wilt; they want something that's in its prime, all the time.

It's the same with grass.

Zoysia grass is a superior grass for transition climates. It grows thick and tough in the summer, crowding out weeds. It requires less maintenance. Then, as the seasons move, it starts to turn a honey-brown in the fall. It stays this way until spring sets in, recovering its color, coming back to life with the seasons.

But people want the grass to be green all the time. They want it to defy life and death, to stay exactly the same throughout the seasons. Ancient drawings and paintings show us the colors of dried hay and turning leaves associated with the fall, while we struggle to keep everything bright and green as if it's summer year-round. It's as if we've forgotten how the seasons work.

Maybe if folks had more sense, we'd have bred a shade-tolerant Zoysia strain by now.

Oh well, buying fescue.