Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Grass Trimmer options?

Hello people!! I need your suggestions for where I can find a solution for my problem.
It's really sad that the biggest companies in outdoor power equipment cannot make a single item easy to use. I went to Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards, and none of the stores have any grass trimmer that has a different system other than string. I don't know where else to look.

All of these at Home depot are string trimmers http://bit.ly/qCKXmg
All of these at Lowes are string trimmers http://bit.ly/pB68AK

Is there not a single company that makes something else? There is no other option besides string? How about some plastic or metal blades?

Can anyone recommend some place I can look?

BlackEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Grass Trimmer options?

Well bless you for shopping first at a box store, with 400 percent markup plastic Chinese crap.

Why didn't you visit your local lawn, tractor and yes, gas trimmer supplier first? What is it you expect us that buy real stuff to offer you in terms of counsel here? Look in the phone book, before they are all gone, for lawn, garden and tractor suppliers. Of course you have options to string things but not mainstream box store.

Last edited by user1007; 07-16-2011 at 01:41 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Well bless you for shopping first at a box store, with 400 percent markup plastic Chinese crap.

Why didn't you visit your local lawn, tractor and yes, gas trimmer supplier first? What is it you expect us that buy real stuff to offer you in terms of counsel here? Look in the phone book, before they are all gone, for lawn, garden and tractor suppliers. Of course you have options to string things but not mainstream box store.
I'm sorry I didn't realize asking a question for advice on a forum was going to piss someone off. I expected someone to say "Sure here are a couple companies that make other types of trimmers" But I see I came to the wrong forum.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:

Also, by the way, I did visit Ace Hardware, but they had 2 types of string trimmers. But I appreciate your assumption that I didn't visit a locally owned hardware store.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEagle View Post
I'm sorry I didn't realize asking a question for advice on a forum was going to piss someone off. I expected someone to say "Sure here are a couple companies that make other types of trimmers" But I see I came to the wrong forum.
I am not at all pissed. Why would you shop for a gas trimmer at other than a real lawn and garden equipment supplier and be disappointed by your finding though. There must be such a place where you are? It will not be within the confines of a box store or even an independent ACE I don't think.

Buy fish at fish stores, cakes at the bakery, hardware at a hardware store and lawn and garden equipment at a suitable dealer. Sorry to piss you off.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #6

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
I am not at all pissed. Why would you shop for a gas trimmer at other than a real lawn and garden equipment supplier and be disappointed by your finding though. There must be such a place where you are? It will not be within the confines of a box store or even an independent ACE I don't think.
I searched my whole yellow pages, we just have 3 big box stores and 2 Ace Hardware stores. I may have to drive to the Minneapolis/St.Paul are to find a real garden equipment supplier.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
I searched my whole yellow pages, we just have 3 big box stores and 2 Ace Hardware stores. I may have to drive to the Minneapolis/St.Paul are to find a real garden equipment supplier.
Sorry, as I preach, once the box stores and even the franchisees are all that is left we will all be in the position you are. We get what they want to sell us at exactly the price point they offer. String and only string edgers. Thankfully, we do have the internet.

Look online and have it delivered?! You might have to put the guard, wheels, handle and blade in place yourself, and I would double check the spark plug gap, but one will come in a nice box I bet you $5! Maybe with free delivery? And no MN sales tax? (We do read how bad you hurt you know so just mail a check in as a donation to your State government controller ok?) Don't like it, send it back.

http://www.amazon.com/Yard-Machines-.../dp/B000XREC0E

The Troy-Bilt thing is a bit more. I sold my T-B tiller for almost what I paid for it. Great machine.

Last edited by user1007; 07-16-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

Grass Trimmer options?

This site has all that you need: http://www.stihl.ca/Products.aspx?Pr...5lQ+RgumtRrk8A

you can also look at: www.stihlusa.com
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
This site has all that you need: http://www.stihl.ca/Products.aspx?Pr...5lQ+RgumtRrk8A

you can also look at: www.stihlusa.com
I think he is looking for a grass trimmer/edger and not a hedge trimmer? Something manly and 4-cycle and not noisy, polluting two cycle for which most electric and even battery operated things are better these days.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
I think he is looking for a grass trimmer/edger and not a hedge trimmer? Something manly and 4-cycle and not noisy, polluting two cycle for which most electric and even battery operated things are better these days.
I just happened to be looking at the hedge trimmer because I need one and directed him to the site. Stihl also carries grass trimmer accessory blades which you can purchase and install on the proper trimmer. By all means they are manly enough for anyone to use. I myself have one of their grass trimmers and havenít had a problem with it and will probably be looking into getting some blades for it in the near future.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,076

Grass Trimmer options?

Quote:
Hello people!! I need your suggestions for where I can find a solution for my problem.
It's really sad that the biggest companies in outdoor power equipment cannot make a single item easy to use. I went to Lowes, Home Depot, and Menards, and none of the stores have any grass trimmer that has a different system other than string. I don't know where else to look.

All of these at Home depot are string trimmers http://bit.ly/qCKXmg
All of these at Lowes are string trimmers http://bit.ly/pB68AK

Is there not a single company that makes something else? There is no other option besides string? How about some plastic or metal blades?

Can anyone recommend some place I can look?
Are you asking if there is anything besides "string" that you can use? The answer is YES. However, I'm not sure I would recommend them.

Years ago, when my sons & I were doing a lawn-mowing service, I tried one of these bad boys.
http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Gator-46...842988&sr=1-45

Here was the problem I ran into: First of all, if (when) you hit anything other than grass, a chunk will break off one of those hard plastic blades. You'll be shocked by how badly it hurts to have it embed itself in your ankle. Second, when one little piece breaks off one of the blades, it will throw the entire head out of balance. It'll shake so badly you might end up dropping the trimmer. Bottom line: It lasted me about 10 minutes.

There's absolutely no way I'd try a metal blade. Just too dangerous.

In the end, the best advice I can give you is to go with a heavy line (1.05?). It will last a little longer, and take care of slightly thicker brush.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote