Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #1

Share |

grass seed

I live in northern NJ (Denville, Morris County) and want to plant grass seed in yard where there was previously tress & brush. I recently cleared the trees, stumps, brush & debris and plan to throw grass seed to germinate grass. I plan to drop a top (2") layer of top soil prior to seeding.
I do plan to rake, drop the seed, then re-rake the soil to ensure seed is covered by moist soil. The area is a southern and western exposure with good morning and early afternoon sun surrounded by wooded areas so it is not field or plain like setting.

When/ what temp is the best time to drop soil & seed?
What type (mixture) of seed should I use?

Any advice is highly appreciated.
rcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

grass seed

Use a mix like some bluegrass and some rye. You can plant it now. Cover with only 1/2" or less top soil at the end. Fertilized two days prior to seeding. Add lime around end of May.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

grass seed

Don't forget to mulch! No need to cover with soil, just make sure you get good seed-to-soil contact.