Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Share |

grass planting

My yard was regraded with a bobcat the other day, and though it isn't absolutely the way I want it, I wont be messing with it for at least a few months, or maybe even a year or two. I'd love to have some grass in the mean time though. So.

Should I just go ahead and plant the grass, like I said the ground was all broken up by the bobcat, will this be suitable for grass growth? Or is there something else I should do to it? It's very loose soil now, when it rains you sink a good inch or two in it.

I don't want a spectacular lawn, I just don't want to see mud all day. Anything is better than that. I really don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars for materials and all. I'll do the seeding myself. Thanks!
johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Eibwen

grass planting

Its a little late in the season with the heat coming on but depending on the size of your yard its worth a shot.

Do you know if its subsoil or topsoil your working with?

I would suggest checking the soil analysis with a test kit first and see what you have as far as PH etc.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #3

grass planting

If it's just not wanting to "look at mud all day", another option is picking up some "meadow mix". They sell it here in the garden centres, and it's basically a mix of wild flower seeds, and such and depending on the size of yard, could give you a little meadow-like garden... just another option...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 AM   #4

grass planting

"I wont be messing with it for at least a few months, or maybe even a year or two."

This may mean never. I'd put down some soil conditioner, and till it up. Then, I'd use a roller and pack the dirt down. Put down grass seed, some starter fertilizer, and then some straw. If you don't do anything, that's ok too, because soon weeds will take over and you'll get greenery, but bad greenery.

The straw will hold some of the moisture, so the seeds most likely will germinate, but you won't get anything thick and lush. You'll have to water at least twice a day to get the seed to germinate though. Once again, you'll need a roller because otherwise, the ground will be too squishy.

Since you live in Ohio, it might not be too late to seed.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #5

grass planting

Maybe you could lay some mulch over it now, and till it in later when you decide to plant grass? Your local building supply might have huge mounds of suitable wood chips, mulch, etc. I think a yard covered with mulch would be better than dirt.

You could have it delivered by truck, wheel barrow it into the back yard and spread it out. You pay by the cubic yard and for delivery, it shouldn't be too much. Also you need to figure out how many cubic yards to cover the yard.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #6

grass planting

I HAVE a huge mound of pine mulch from when my trees were cut down... i'll look into it.
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #7

grass planting

Be wary, pine is a termite's favorite treat.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote