Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to FordRacer2007
Share |

Grass Issue

I recently bought a small swing set for my kids and now that lawn mowing season is here I realize that not only does the weed eater tear up the wood, but the grass is impossible to get to in certain areas of the swing set.

I figure the easiest and cheapest thing to do is get rid of the grass, somehow enclose the swing set so I can pour some sand around it. My question is, what is the easiest way to get rid of the grass, and what can I use to make the border around the swing set?

Any suggestions are also welcome if there's a better solution to this, thanks!

Attachment 68706
FordRacer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #2

Grass Issue

If there is any chance of a feral cat in the neighborhood you'll regret sand .
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Grass Issue

Ah thanks, wasn't aware of that.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

Grass Issue

Roundup will kill grass fairly well. There are also several organic burn-out products that work very well. http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xd...Weed%20Control

How about woodchips, instead of sand?
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #5

Grass Issue

Another thought... Instead of trying to kill the grass, you can rent a power sod cutter for about $50 and take it out in about a half hour.

I also went with wood chips. Considered the alternatives... sand attracts critters and gets dirty. Or you can do pebbles, but when the kids move out you have to get rid of them. Hence wood chips. I figure if they break down I can add more to the top... and if I ever want to get rid of the swingset and restore the area... the wood chips just compost down into dirt and can be spread all over the place.

I was able to get special wood chips intended for playsets from a local supplier. Cost around $30/yard. Needed like 10 yards to cover the area, but they're light and it's good exercise with the wheelbarrow.
MinnesotaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Issue

Recycled shredded rubber comes in all colors including some you cannot tell from wood chips until you get up close. It will not decompose like wood chips will over time or put splinters in the little ones. Theoretically they will bounce better off of it when the fall too.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #7

Grass Issue

Thanks guys, this was all very helpful.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Grass Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Recycled shredded rubber comes in all colors including some you cannot tell from wood chips until you get up close. It will not decompose like wood chips will over time or put splinters in the little ones.
We actually had some of these under our swingset that the previous owners had put down. Not enough to be useful, they were mixed up with the mud and grass. Took me a long time to get them out of the dirt, and I'm still finding the pieces today.

I called around and the only way to dispose of them was the landfill.
MinnesotaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Issue

Good point. There is a recommended depth for any mulch, bark or whatever under playground equipment and I do not remember what it is.

Obviously you would have some of the same problems with wood but it should eventually decompose.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #10

Grass Issue

If going for the rubber chunks, it would be wise to put down a layer of landscaping fabric first. This will make disposal easier down the road, when the kids have outgrown the playset.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Grass Issue

Well again, and not trying to talk you into the rubber product, but landscape cloth of a heavy enough grade and suitable material not to fall apart itself, would be good under bark chunks too.