Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Share |

Grass clumps from mulch mowing

I've read a lot about mulch mowing and it seems like the better way of going over traditional bagging. My mower is designed to go either way - it's only about 3 years old.

My biggest complaint is I'm always having clumps of grass where the tires tracks are. I keep the mower one from the highest setting and try to cut it every 3 days.

Once the clumps sit for a couple days it turns brown and I have a full lawn of brown lines. I spent 5 hours taking it all up yesterday.

I attached a photo but not sure if it really does it justice for the whole lawn.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Grass clumps from mulch mowing-image-1644307236.jpg  

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 07-19-2013 at 04:50 PM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Try overlapping the tire tracks so you break up the clumps.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

How long do you wait between mowings?
It's been a REAL wet spring and grass is growing fast.
I haven't put the mulcher on yet this year (still bagging)

set the blade higher, be SURE it's sharp, cut more often and do a 90 degree pass if it persists
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If you are letting it get too tall, or it is a very thick lawn, it could be causing it. I would go rent a motorized de-thatcher and vac, to help the yard.

Do not do it right now, if you are were there is a heatwave, due to it could cause more harm than good. You could though go over with the yard vac and it should pull it up, but may have to use a rake at first to losen up any clumps that are "glued" down.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

If you have a leaf blower hit the clumps after you are done mowing and they'll break up. I had a clumping issue with my last mower and used a blower to get rid of the clumps.

If your mower blade is sharp, you should not have a thatch problem.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

run the clumps over, they will disappear.

In the fall I don't pick a single leave up. Just keep running them over until they are little pieces and by spring they will disappear too.

In fact they are food for worms, which translates as worm casings, which is natures fertilizer..
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

You might want to try a different blade. I switched to GatorMulcher blades and they do a much better job of cutting up the grass clippings. Keep the mower deck clean so you get proper circulation of the clippings.
chitownken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chitownken For This Useful Post:
creeper (07-19-2013), HARRY304E (07-24-2013), MikeKy55 (08-17-2013)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Taking a break after cutting will give the clumps time to dry slightly and the other grass to rebound can make a big difference. After your beer, cut on a 90 degree or diagonal you will have much more uniform cut and you may be able to stretch out the timing between mowing days. - After the second cut, it will be admired by the neighbors, but they will never match it with a single cut.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (07-24-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
I've read a lot about mulch mowing and it seems like the better way of going over traditional bagging. My mower is designed to go either way - it's only about 3 years old.

My biggest complaint is I'm always having clumps of grass where the tires tracks are. I keep the mower one from the highest setting and try to cut it every 3 days.

Once the clumps sit for a couple days it turns brown and I have a full lawn of brown lines. I spent 5 hours taking it all up yesterday.

I attached a photo but not sure if it really does it justice for the whole lawn.

Any suggestions?
Mulch-mowing requires near perfect conditions.

You're either letting it get too long between mowing, or mowing when the grass is wet.

If you're going to successfully mulch, you'll need to mow no more than about 3/4" - 1" off the top.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #10

and a sharp blade
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

reset the mower to lower middle height 12 0' clock your grass is to high to mulch...cuttings at that setting the cuts stay up on top...go one way length wise in the yard with first cut the left to right and with no adjustment..let the mower remulch the lawn within the blade swing not discharging anything out the back or sides if there are doors....
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
Banned Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post

Any suggestions?
Make sure you've got a mulching blade and your lawn is dry make sure your blade is sharp too.

Mow it twice and you'll get great results and a good looking checker board look.

Last edited by HARRY304E; 07-24-2013 at 11:04 AM.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

just to add drop one setting mow it.... then drop another setting till you get to that mid height...dropping it down to the mulching height you'll have a ton of mulched grass....I sometimes get my neighbors newly cut grass and mow that in over and over especially when a heavv rain is predicted...goes right into the roots...2"-3 " high after your cutswill shade the roots and take that mulching

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote