Grass Brownout - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

Grass brownout

Live in southern mass. I have a mix of perennial rye, KGB, and fescue lawn.I notice every June the grass will start to turn brown. I had soil test den and all seems to be fine. At first I suspected disease but because it seems to be evenly spread and the fact that most of my neighbors seem to have the same issue I am suspecting something else. Could it be that one of the many different mixes of grass goes dormant at this time and turns brown? Does this ever happen?

Advertisement

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Grass brownout

Happens to everyone who does not water their grass. I over seeded a couple of years ago with drought resistant seed, and you can see those areas within that are going dormant, but due to getting some rain yesterday and last night, it has come back a little.

All you can do, is go out there and run the sprinkler for about a hour to give it a drink, at least two or three times a week, and let nature take its course.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Grass brownout

If you are all using the same lawn service company I might suspect the turf is getting over fed and you are experiencing some burning from the fertilizer or stress from the herbicide if a spring weed n feed product was used. It sounds like you have ruled out fungus. No chance of grubs or other insect problems common to the neighborhood?

As mentioned, it may just be a need for more water as temps rise. Do you aerate and de-thatch (if needed) regularly? Both will help reduce watering needs and encourage strong root growth. Watering longer and less frequently will also improve resistance to heat as roots will be encourage to grow deeper.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote