Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #1

Share |

Granular "Everything" Killer?

I have a portion of my yard laid out as a rock lawn, there is no grass or plant life at all. During the dry summer months I usually hand pick the weeds the STORM through the rock bed because if I spray them they just die and then lay on top of the rocks(so they need to be pulled regardless). Is there is granualar weed/grass/growth preventer that I could regularly spread over the rocks to prevent any type of growth?

Thanks.

tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Landscape contractor

tiger, I don't know where your from, but you want to look into using a pe-emergent weed control. A consumer grade that is popular is "Preen," you can get it at most homecenters. You apply in the spring in a granular form from a sprinkle can ( it's like a big salt shaker). It goes down in March to early April depending on where you are. It forms a chemical barrier once activated by moisture. When the weed seed begins to germinate and comes into contact with the chemical, it dies. Follow the directions carefully, it's a safe product but can harm some plant varieties. Don't use it around ponds or where it can move into streams or creeks. You may want to apply in the fall as well. Let me know if you have any ?.

timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
tiger, I don't know where your from, but you want to look into using a pe-emergent weed control. A consumer grade that is popular is "Preen," you can get it at most homecenters. You apply in the spring in a granular form from a sprinkle can ( it's like a big salt shaker). It goes down in March to early April depending on where you are. It forms a chemical barrier once activated by moisture. When the weed seed begins to germinate and comes into contact with the chemical, it dies. Follow the directions carefully, it's a safe product but can harm some plant varieties. Don't use it around ponds or where it can move into streams or creeks. You may want to apply in the fall as well. Let me know if you have any ?.
Does it work>?
tigerbalm2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Landscape contractor

If put done correctly it works very well. Your going to get some weeds, but doing a little touch -up spraying here and there should be expected. There are commercial products out there but they may or may not be available to you ( you have to be a licensed chemical applicator, to purchase them). If you have a lawn care company taking care of your lawn, you should be able to get them to do it for a nominal fee. If you have any agricultural co-ops in your area or landscape supply companies you may be able to get some better products.
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:04 PM   #5

Hey Timber, I sent you a PM.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #6

Be sure to read the labels, as you may have to apply every 3 months. I've never used Preen, but other granular pre-emergents require application every 90 days or so. I use snapshot, because I can apply it around ornamental plants with no worries.

Robert131 is offline   Reply With Quote