Grading Soil During Chicago WInter - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Grading Soil during Chicago WInter

Hello:

I recently bought a house that desperately needs the soil graded.(picture below) Is it possible during these cold months, (if there is no snow present) to add soil and grade it away from the house. During the last heavy rain we received a small amount of water in the basement. Also, what kind of soil is recommended? I have read pros and cons for topsoil.

Advertisement

stefonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Ayuh,... About the Only way you do it is with Imported, Not Frozen, topdirt....

It appears that the local material is Frozen,... You'd have to Bust it up to regrade what's there....
If you can find a supply of topdirt, it looks like a yard or 2 would do what you need to do.....

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It looks like you have concrete above that dirt area
You need to maintain 8" min between dirt & wood, I like to keep about 12". I'd just build it up with topsoil, depending upon how much you need you could get a small delivery or buy bags at HD/Lowes
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,362

If your basement is leaking, it could be a bigger issue than just the grade of the soil.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

My side yard was about the same
I regraded & extended the downspouts - also used cement to extend the water going further from the house
With these improvements the little bit of water that came in during heavy storms stopped

I also had a back patio that was sloped wrong & water would come towards the house. I built a sunroom on the patio. Check the slopes/drainage every where along the perimeter. I also dig & buried a drain pipe to take water from the downspouts on one side of the house 20'+ away

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Looks like you've got a walkway a few feet from the foundation wall, in which case it may be very difficult to improve drainage away from the foundation by altering grade.

I've performed many inspections at homes in the Chicago area where walkways and/or closely adjacent buildings on adjacent lots made significant improvements of grading difficult or impossible. Frequently it's impractical under such conditions to achieve anything like optimum grade away from the house, however the majority of cases it's possible to produce significant and sometimes even dramatic improvements in water intrusion into basements by improving water removal with properly sized and located gutters, downspouts,and leaders discharging at improve locations - which as it happens is usually much less expensive than regrading or basement "waterproofing" options.

Can you post a few more pictures, one for each side of the house, to give us an clearer idea general site conditions?

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
My side yard was about the same
I regraded & extended the downspouts - also used cement to extend the water going further from the house
With these improvements the little bit of water that came in during heavy storms stopped

I also had a back patio that was sloped wrong & water would come towards the house. I built a sunroom on the patio. Check the slopes/drainage every where along the perimeter. I also dig & buried a drain pipe to take water from the downspouts on one side of the house 20'+ away

Did you put screens on the gutter downspouts to prevent leaves from going down the gutter drain and possibly getting trapped in the buried drain pipe?

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote