Grading Foundation Around Our Home - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

grading foundation around our home

I am looking for a step by step process to grade around the foundation of our home. I have two 6 foot patches on the rear and side of our home that has eroded away over the years. Do I fill in holes with gravel then cover with dirt? I understand the 5" grade guidelines, just want to see if this can be a DIY job. Any recipes for success?

Advertisement

ralphiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

grading foundation around our home

Some pictures would help the discussion, if you are able. If you can put your location in your sig that would help as well. It would be useful to know if you are in a frost region.

If you have active erosion, that needs to be addressed first. No point putting soil back if rain is just going to wash it away again. You may need to look at flow paths farther away from the house and see whether you can channel run-off elsewhere. If it is close to a property boundary, you need to make sure the runoff (current or proposed) won't affect the neighbor's property.

It could be a piece-of-cake weekend DIY job, or it might legitimately require a landscape architect or an engineer to do it right. More I cannot say.

Advertisement

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grading diy