Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Share |

Grading around house

What is the best method for pitching the ground away from your house? I wanted to raise up the soil at my house and pitch it away about 5 or 6 feet away. I will have mulch beds that directly touch the lawn about 5 feet off the house.

Should I just pile on the topsoil and and tamp it? Or do I not tamp it?

I am going to have weed screen under the mulch around the house as well. And probably have some plantings in the mulch beds.

Can new soil be thrown on top of dryer soil to put grass seed on? How much topsoil would be enough to facilitate a nice lawn?

I need to fill in some top soil along the side of a new driveway and right now there is lesser quality dirt around it. There is about four inches that I can add soil before being too high up. Should I just fill it in and tamp it down?

thanks for the help

Mikey Palmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

Grading around house

Question....If I have some spots in my lawn where there is no grass. can I throw down some top soil around the spotty area and seed it and cover it with hay? The current soil in the spotty areas isn't the best, it's dry and tough.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #3

Grading around house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice View Post
Question....If I have some spots in my lawn where there is no grass. can I throw down some top soil around the spotty area and seed it and cover it with hay? The current soil in the spotty areas isn't the best, it's dry and tough.
You can do that, but I would break up the original top soil first, but down top soil, seed, tamp it down, and then throw straw, not hay, over it. Hay usually has seed in it.

Or, you can put down a germination blanket. It's much pricier than a bale of straw though.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #4

Grading around house

sounds good, thanks for the reply. Now I have to figure out the best way to get the top soil and mulch to my house. I think putting it down is a job I can handle, probably will be very time consuming, but I have been paying enough people to work at my house this last month. Between the new driveway, new walk and stoop, new tankless hot water heater, I'm running out of money.

Have to figure out how much to get.

I guess three inches of mulch is good, right? And I have to do about 4 inches of top soil all along my driveway and front walk and use the rest as fill in spots in my existing lawn.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #5

Grading around house

Quote:
sounds good, thanks for the reply. Now I have to figure out the best way to get the top soil and mulch to my house. I think putting it down is a job I can handle, probably will be very time consuming, but I have been paying enough people to work at my house this last month. Between the new driveway, new walk and stoop, new tankless hot water heater, I'm running out of money.

Have to figure out how much to get.

I guess three inches of mulch is good, right? And I have to do about 4 inches of top soil all along my driveway and front walk and use the rest as fill in spots in my existing lawn.
If you're buying top soil by the bag, Home Depot has it this holiday weekend for $.98/bag.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #6

Grading around house

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
If you're buying top soil by the bag, Home Depot has it this holiday weekend for $.98/bag.
How much comes in a bag. I just had 10 yards delivered at 39 dollar per yard
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #7

Grading around house

Quote:
How much comes in a bag. I just had 10 yards delivered at 39 dollar per yard
You probably got a better deal since you bought in bulk, but the bags at HD are roughly 2cuft, 40lbs.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #8

Grading around house

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You probably got a better deal since you bought in bulk, but the bags at HD are roughly 2cuft, 40lbs.
I guess the bags are good for smaller projects. It looks like I have gone through 5 yards of the topsoil today. Filled in all around the driveway nicely. Hopefully I can kill the rest of the pile monday. Weather should be nice.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

Grading around house

27 cubic feet = 1 cu yard

If its .98 a 2 cubic foot = ~$13.25 a cubic yard
I found it cheaper to buy mulch at HD then buying in bulk
It was also much easier to load 3 bags in my wheelbarrow & wheel them around VS shoveling it off the ground into the wheelbarrow then to where I needed it

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 05-24-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote