Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Mqi

Rewards Points: 10

grading

I have a 10 ft wide flower bed infront of the house. The lawn right in front of the flower bed is the lowest point of the fron yard. Water accumulates there. The house has concrete basement, and the front is brick. I am not sure if it is a true brick wall or brick veneer. The house sits lower than our neighbors. I am planning to regrade the front yard to get rid of the puddle. Looking at the front wall, there is a layer of tar paper between the bricks. can I add soil up to where the layer of tar paper is? can I go over it? Thanks very much for your help.

Mqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

grading

Could you post some pictures? It would help with answers.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Mqi

grading

Here are some pictures:

I couldn't paste the pictures. They are attached. Can I add topsoil above the tar paper? I also saw black paint (?) on the wall below the mulch. Should I paint the section that is going to be buries for the new grading? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
grading-front.jpg   grading-side-view.jpg   grading-tar-paper.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

grading

The black paint may be tar based waterproofing paste. If you want to add some soil and slope it I would dig down to where that black is visible, clean off the brick face, and put more tar paste up just above to where your dirt will be.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Mqi

grading

Do you think I can go over the tar paper between the bricks with soil, after the additional paste on the wall? Thanks very much.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

grading

Are you underestimating the slope to the house? Sloping at what degree and over what distance in what directions? Wouldn't you be better off reversing or cross cutting the correct slope away from the house rather than trying to build up enough against the house to reverse it?

Is an hour consult with a civil engineer in your future to do this right the first time? In changing grade you have a responsibility to neighboring properties too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Mqi

grading

I can't take out any high spot in my front yard to get better grading. My yard will be below the side walk. The only way to go is to raise the area near the house.

My immidiete neighbor's house sits very close to the property line and is already draining onto my side yard and down to my backyard. The area I am looking to fill out will not affect them at all. Thanks,