DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (
-   -   grading (

michigan 03-13-2012 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I need help with ideas. 2 years ago my neighbour built an addition to his house, new garage, and re-paved his driveway. He also put a down spout from his roof on the side of his driveway.
My house is from 1954 and this year I had to redo the weeping tile... Now I am left with what you see on the picture. I need to divert the water from the house but I don't know how. For now my sump pump works like crazy. I hope I can help it somehow. What do you think?
Asphalt is too expensive and my driveway is on the other side of the house. Maybe, I can put some plastic somehow and then the top soil? I don't want to plant anything there. I don't care too much how it looks. I need to keep water away from my hole with the gravel... I've lost my sleep...

bbo 03-13-2012 04:48 AM

I'd find out if your neighbor had this work permitted and inspected. I'm sure others will chime in, but I would think you are responsible for your runoff.

michigan 03-13-2012 05:00 AM

I did not tell you the whole story: I bought this house from a 82 year old person last year. Because of his age he was not able to deal with the isssue with his neighbour. He told me that it is "my problem" now.
I was stupid and did not realize how bad the problem was. I found it out in the fall... Had to do unfinish the basement and install the weeping tile in January... The neighbour seems like a nice guy. He even cleaned my driveway a couple of times in the winter. I don't think I can make him to divert the water from my property. I understand that I have problems because of him, but his driveway is very narrow and he had to pave it right to the property line.

bbo 03-13-2012 05:34 AM

I would still check with your local inspectors. If they are unable to make the neighbor fix this they can offer you suggestions. On a house we used to own, upon purchase, the local building inspector gave us a fix notice to add gutters to fix s neighbors problem with water in her basement.

Ravenworks 03-13-2012 09:08 AM


Originally Posted by bbo (Post 876521)
I'd find out if your neighbor had this work permitted and inspected. I'm sure others will chime in, but I would think you are responsible for your runoff.

You most certainly are responsible for your run-off,just went down this road a few years back.
You will have to one of two things.
1) Get him to divert the water run off and add a way for it to leach out without coming onto your property.
2)Change the grade on both side and create a "Swale" which is a low point in the middle of both properties that will enable the water to go away.
As for the driveway,you can use that as leverage,just say the word "Encroachment"

happyface 03-13-2012 08:29 PM

But how you can create a swale? With gravel, topsoil, something else?
and what does "encroachment" mean. Sorry for stupid questions and thank you!

Ravenworks 03-13-2012 09:35 PM

"encroachment"you said his drive was put in recently ,was it done legally, depending on you municipality it should be X amount of feet from your property ?
If I were you I would call your zoning board and start asking questions.
As for creating a Swale,goggle it and look at some pictures of what they look like. You will either have to cut dirt add dirt or both to acheive a mutual grade that is compatible for both parties.What it looks like is a V ,high on top and low in the bottom thus draining the water away from the build(s)
I would bet if his drainage was fixed properly a lot of your problems would resolve on there own.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1